Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Charlotte Bradley, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Charlotte Bradley

Charlotte Bradley PetForums Newbie

ill admit to being very ignorant of the breed. Recently at the dogs home I had dismissed Toby the staffs cause of his breed and cause I have a 3yr old son. Then on our way out (after seeing all dog to go to homes with no kids) we saw Toby being fussed outside. We stopped for cuddles and he was just the most loving little chap I've ever met, (for a 5yr old stray) he is a staffs cross. Can anyone tell me what he could be crossed with? As he is a little taller than usual staffys and very very broad! Also advice on if he would be safe to come to a home with a 3yr old. He has shown no aggression at the dogs home, seems very loving but is very strong when playing. And I don't want to bring him into my home for something to go wrong cause I've not done my research properly.

Attached Files:

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

He's probably just a poorly bred staff to be honest; breeding of them gone mad so very few of them outside of the show world really adhere to the standard!

There's no reason he wouldn't be as good a pet as any other breed. If the rescue is happy to rehome him to you with a child, why not. Use common sense of course... dont leave young children unattended with any dog.

ouesi and simplysardonic like this.
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Personally, if i had a child and a very young one at that, i would be going for a dog that has been in a foster home and properly assessed around children and other animals. Regardless of breed.

How a dog behaves in a kennel situation is often very different to how they behave in a home.

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Agree with this totally.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

I agree with Nonnie. I personally feel that's a better bet to know temperament.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I'm sure he is a lovely dog, but I wouldn't have any unknown dog around my 3 year old and definitely not living with us.

SpicyBulldog likes this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

In general, Staffies tend to be very people focused and tend to love children.

However, I do agree with other posters on this thread. With a three year old in your home, you need to be sure any dog you bring in is bombproof around children, regardless of Breed.

SpicyBulldog, ouesi and Lurcherlad like this.
  8. Legshand

Legshand PetForums Member

Also advice on if he would be safe to come to a home with a 3yr old.

Maybe you could acuratly asses thoroughly how your child is going to be with 'a dog' for the next 10 years+ if you can do that then it will make easier to predict any interaction outcome, if you feel the need for a kid & dog family combo.

9. ouesi

ouesi Guest

I would not say no to a dog and kid because of breed, but I would say no to a dog and kid because of temperament.

Our children have been raised with a dreaded bull breed and I can't imagine a better dog for them to have grown up with. His temperament is hugely tolerant of kids, he truly enjoys children and their chaos, he is a very confident and resilient dog so even when accidents do happen he recovers quickly and easily.

A good rescue should be able to properly assess a dog and determine if the dog's overall temperament is suited to a home with children.
    Again, breed is irrelevant. Inherent temperament is not.

DT, Lurcherlad and Rafa like this.
  10. DT

DT Banned

I love staffies, never had one but just adore them,its a crying shame the once called 'nanny dog' if viewed with such horror.
    All due to nasty greedy heartless breeders.

Anyway I didn't start this post to say that, I started it to remind people no person should ever trust any breed of dog 100 per cent when children are around.

#10 DT, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  11. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I think you would need to find out why exactly he was given up...there may well be a very good reason, of course, but obviously you need to know it. He is lovely.

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When my child was about that age I had a regular staffy boarding with me and he soon became a house guest. He lived very happily with my collies and my daughter. He was a small properly bred one so his size was not an issue.

DT likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice