Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Mega-Pet-City, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Mega-Pet-City

Mega-Pet-City PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have been breeding staffords for the last 7 / 8 yearts and would like to share my advice

I got a lot of people ringing me , emailing me for miy / our advice and people who cant find new homes for there dogs or there was problems

Most importent things you check before you breed

1. Make sure both sire & dam have both got a great temprement and health checked , I also have l2 hga test done on all my dogs and all clear

2. always check the line that you don't interbreed other wis you may cause problems with the mum and litter

3. make sure you have things ready and the time effort and self asteame to look after a litter of pups and mum as you dont know what will happen I.E Bottle feeding etc.... and money etc...

4. always make sure you have homes or have a good idea when / where you will find them new homes

My advice is that the bitch should 2+ and the male 1 1/2 ( years ) making sure they have been vet cheacked

also make sure that the bitch is not due for incoulation you need to do 10 days befopre mating and cant be done wilst pregnent / feeding and make sure wormed & flead upto date

I have been lucky with most of my litters but i hate to see people getting into a mess before not looking into breeding and dont be afraid to ask people , and if your not 100% sure / Ready please dont breed

Also HC and tested for PHPV & PPSC.

2. garryd

garryd Guest

YOu and memeber sallyanne are gonna have lots to chat about !:D

3. Mega-Pet-City

lol i am farley new so dont really know anyone on here lol

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Not only should they be tested for L2 HGA,they should be tested for HC and tested for PHPV & PPSC.

What do you mean when you say interbred???

The male in my opinion should be 18 months plus at 1 year old he is not mature enough or fully developed.

5. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

..........grrrr................:D

6. Mega-Pet-City

Interbreed i mean by breeding them to close to lines i.e dad of the bitch etc.. as i have seen thaty happen and that is just cruel

Yes mine have also got hthose tests done but i persoanley think l2 hga is the most importent

yes and i also aggreee with 18months but the staffy acornoisation near me says 12 months

ffs i only came on here as i got told it was a friendly forum and all i seem to be done is getting bollocked

7. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

ALL Health testing is important,I don't believe any one test is more important than another,they are all of equal importance.

In-breeding is the term used for the breeding you have described,some Breeders feel it's important with new breeds when the Gene pool is small.
    Why do you think it's cruel?

8. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Well done sally, you've managed to welcome yet another newbie with your charming tactfull manner! :rolleyes:

9. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I've not been rude just stating what other tests are required and asked a question.Are we not allowed to do that anymore??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::confused:

10. claire

claire Guest

lol.......... very true

11. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

The above was my first post to this member,so whats wrong with it????:rolleyes:

I see you all jumped on the bandwagon on this thread though with your tactful manner,is that why it's been deleted????
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/3084-pet-correcter.html

12. Mega-Pet-City

I aint trying to cause toruble just saying the facts round here not many people know of l2 hga test etc... near me but breeders near me always say we advice for at leasr with the l2hga , but i aggree all tests are importent and i am happy to say mine are all done & clear :D

13. claire

claire Guest

SALLYANNE how the hell did ya get that bloody score on astroids???????????????????????????????????? its hard:)

14. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

It's easy....I used to play it when I was younger :D :D

15. claire

claire Guest

i keep trying but im not up to scratch:(

16. clairemac9

clairemac9 PetForums Member

welcome mega pet city to you and your staffords THATS HOW YOU DO IT

17. garryd

garryd Guest

:DPMSL:D....:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice