Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Staffies and hot weather

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jun 27, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

I've noticed that Staffies don't seem to suffer with the heat as much as a lot of other dogs.
    I was out the other day, it was really hot, their owners were sunbathing, and a couple of Staffies were running around having a chase game
    Could it be because their mouths are big compared to the size of their bodies which makes their cooling system better?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I think its because Staffies are oblivious to pain and discomfort, and will literally run and play until they drop dead.

A few years ago one in my area died from heat stroke.

1 person likes this.
  3. Oblada

Oblada Guest

My boy suffers quite a lot from the heat actually ... I suppose his dark coat does not help but although he will play around like usual he will get tired much quicker and his panting will be much heavier...

As Nonnie said certain breeds tend to be quite impervious to physical pains and discomfort and will show less than others...

xx

4. rona

rona Guest

So not a breed for some of the idiot owners that take them on then! they could cause them immeasurable discomfort?
    We must have a few of those here, cos quite a few Staffies are out in the heat :(

5. Oblada

Oblada Guest

true!
    That said dogs tend to be in general more thick skinned than us and so we as owners always need to keep a watchful eye.

When my bitch got cancer she never for one second moaned about it or looked less happy to see us...the day I took her to the vet to see if the tumor could be removed she seemed her usual self whilst in actual fact the tumor had "eaten" quite a few of her organs and she had to be put to sleep..she must have been in dreadful pain but never showed it (she was a beagle..also famous for being particularly thick-skinned..)...

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

There have been a fair few that have collasped and died at shows through the heat sadly.

Both of mine suffer with the heat,we avoid taking them out whilst it's so hot during the day and they go out early morning late evening when it's cooler.

Of course you will always get the idiots who walk and play with there dogs regarless of the heat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice