Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Stable matting in dog run?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by fearless freddy, Jun 5, 2010.

1. fearless freddy

fearless freddy PetForums Newbie

I am thinking of buying some heavy duty rubber stable matting for my outdoor dog run but wonder whether it will get too hot for the dogs feet during summer. Anyone have experience with stable matting? Thanks, Freddy

2. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Concrete can become scorching in direct sun too, so rubber matting sounds a good idea, you can always chuck water on it now and then, my horse had it in her stable and didn't seem to get that hot in direct sunlight xxx

3. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

My friend has some peices dotted around her garden for her wolfies to lay on, so I suspect it would be good. I do remember it beginning to smell at the stables though, so invest in a good yard brush and decent cleaner.

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

You will have to regularly lift it and disinfect under it.. as you will find the wee will stick underneath and stink and it is quite heavy... I can't see it being a problem though.... But with it being black it will get very hot....

5. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

I think it could well get hot if exposed to direct sunlight, but i've definately seen green matting in stables before which i assume would reflect more heat and light than black matting?
    Not sure of it's availability compared to black matting but it's definately out there :)

6. Chocmonster

Chocmonster PetForums Member

The company I run makes horseboxes and we use the stable matting on the floors. In direct strong slight it can get very hot but in shade it stays lovely and cool. Might be worth just putting it down on a section and see how they get on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice