UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Nice to meet you all my name is tor. I have a 12 week old st. Bernard called rocky who I love to bits. He has never pood in the house but still has a problem with weeing. He holds his toilet in all night and when I let him out for it he goes for about two mins. But during the day he just doesn't really hold it in at all. He is let out a hell of a lot during the day but still we find puddles in the house. He is praised everytime he toilets outside but still wees were he shouldn't. I know he is still a pup but he understands to hold it in all night so why not during the day? Thank you in advance

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
I think maybe you are expecting a little too much of a 12 week old. He may not wee at night, but that is more because he is sleeping than bladder control. A pup that young has very little control over his bladder, any more than a baby has. Also they get very excited and can't be bothered to leave what they are doing to go wee. Children are the same. If he is as good as you say, then he will soon get the message. Unfortunately, with a Saint it is always a very big puddle!

Have a good read of this: http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/75317-housetraining-your-pup-older-dog.html

And post some pictures, please:)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hi everyone. Nice to meet you all my name is tor. I have a 12 week old st. Bernard called rocky who I love to bits. He has never pood in the house but still has a problem with weeing. He holds his toilet in all night and when I let him out for it he goes for about two mins. But during the day he just doesn't really hold it in at all. He is let out a hell of a lot during the day but still we find puddles in the house. He is praised everytime he toilets outside but still wees were he shouldn't. I know he is still a pup but he understands to hold it in all night so why not during the day? Thank you in advance
Do you crate him at night or keep him in a really confined area? usually a dog thats crated or confined wont through choice if possible soil its bed and surrounding area, so that may be one explanation. Also as they are asleep and not active through the night they are sleeping not drinking or very little and obviously not eating, so will also not need to urinate and pee so much either. Sounds like he is bursting in the morning when you do let him out but obviously has the capacity to hold on with the reduced/no continous intake of water and food as he will be in the day time.

At 12 weeks they still have limited capacity for both especially with the four meals a day. At this stage they are not relaliable too to think for themseves and if they do realise its often too late.

You need to take him out every 30/45 minutes and stay out with him, when he starts to go, use a name of your choice used all the time they associate the word with toileting and later once learned you should be able to use it as a toilet cue getting him to toilet on command in a lot of cases. You need to take him out too after drinking eating playing and sleeping they usually need to go then. Look out for circling sniffing and scratching at the floor its often a sign they maybe looking to go, if you see it get him out quick. You dont sometimes see this until later though as mentioned they often dont realise until too late.

When he completely finishes, praise him and reward with treats. If he has an accident dont tell him off it can make them nervous about going in front of you and more likely try to sneak off and do it. Also any accidents you need to clean up with a special pet stain/odour remover as any stains left can encourage repeats in the same places.

If you have paper and pads around remove them, they can confuse them especially if they have been paper or pad trained in the early days inside the house as it can act as a cue that toileting is Ok to go in the house.

Its a lot of work for a few weeks but by being frequent and persistent and constantly taking them out it usually pays off. More frequent outings for short periods Ive found works better then infrequent and staying out for longer.

As they grow the capacity gets better so they can hold it for longer, but you still need to remind them to go out usually for quite some time before they are totally relaiable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your advice. No he isn't caste trained, he stays in the kitchen over night. Quite a large kitchen. That makes sence about him sleeping so not really needing a wee. I am just glad the whole of the down stairs is laminate. I will put pics up as soon as I know how. Thank you again x

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'm just going by your post, but it seems you're expecting a little more from your pup at this time. You need to constantly take him outside, let him wee or poo, then reward him to let him know he's doing good. If he doesn't wee or poo right away, walk him around until he does toilet. Also, I find it to be a good idea to keep walking him even if he had toileted to make sure he has emptied his bladder and so that he can get some exercise. ;)

·
Banned
19,241 Posts
Thank you for your advice. No he isn't caste trained, he stays in the kitchen over night. Quite a large kitchen. That makes sence about him sleeping so not really needing a wee. I am just glad the whole of the down stairs is laminate. I will put pics up as soon as I know how. Thank you again x
Do be very careful with a giant breed puppy and laminate floors. Their bones and joints are so delicate and they can so easily slip if they rush about and get excited. I have newfoundlands, not as big as a saint, but very delicate especially when growing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.