Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Squittin' Kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by memmarmite, May 29, 2010.

1. memmarmite

memmarmite PetForums Member

Salutations all,

We have our first kitten and he's an absolute doll. Beautiful manners, not a single litter tray accident, eats and drinks well, perfect little snuggler. We're proper chuffed.

We are encountering one problem, however. We are changing him off the crap he was being fed before (Go Cat dry and Asda Tiger wet, yuck) onto something a little meatier - have opted for P@H Purely as it's the best we can currently afford and Little Man absolutely loves it! I really took my time switching the foods as I didn't want to upset his little tum, but I appear to have done so anyway. He's not pooping with any particularly worrying frequency, but his stools are loose and stinky.

As of today he's now just on Purely. Will his loose stools clear up in time, or should I take a few steps backwards and try again?

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the pf! Since you say that the transition has been gradual, I would say just persevere with the new food for another day to see whether it is going to firm up. It is quite a leap for his stomach to move from crappy wet food to purely with a meat content of 50%.

Keep an eye on him though to see that he remains sprightly.

3. memmarmite

I suspect the switch hasn't been as gradual as I intended as he's been picking the Purely out and leaving the Go Cat behind for the most part, which if nothing else goes to show what he'd prefer to be eating.

Huge thanks for your input, I shall keep a close eye on things!

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ok, how quickly did you switch it over? He is leaving the dry? I personally think that is a good thing :D

5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Add a probiotic to his daily in take. Benebac and pro bios are both a gel, and most cats find it very tasty. I don't know where you are, or if these are available if you are not in the USA.

there is also forti flora, a probiotic powder made by purina, very effective.

You can even get probiotic capsules in the health food store and sprinkle a little from a capsule each day on his food.

In a pinch even a little plain yogurt every day will help sort things out for him. Just a pea sized dot of it, once a day.

Congratulations on your new family member!

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

#6 hobbs2004, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 30, 2010
  7. memmarmite

We've taken nearly a fortnight changing it over. He's eating wet and dry in combination and as I said he's been heavily favouring the Purely since the start...

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh, a fortnight should be plenty! As long as he is not pooping frequently, then my advice still stands: see how the next 24 hours go - hopefully the poop will start firming up.

You could look into the pre-pro biotic paste that Lorilu has been talking about. You can get them online or at the vet. It is a good thing to have in the cupboard for future bowel incidents.

Any reason why you are feeding dry? Cats are really bad drinkers and dry food only contains about 10% of moisture compared to 70-80% of moisture in wet food. Compared to a lot of wet food, dry food also contains a lot of carbs - that are cheap fillers for the pet food industry but of no use to cats.

But it sounds as though your cat has made the choice for you!

9. memmarmite

Ahh, wicked. If he doesn't improve tomorrow I shall definitely be picking some of that up. Thanks again for your help, guys - it's hugely appreciated!

10. memmarmite

This is going to sound terrible but it's partly a convenience thing. We're feeding wet a couple of times a day but we both work full time so we have a bowl of biscuits down for him the rest of the time. Little Man drinks like a fish at the moment so I'm not too worried about dehydration - again, it's something I'm keeping an eye on :)

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

No, it isn't terrible :D

Ok, my cats are grown and don't have the energy needs a growing kitten has but we only feed ours twice a day (mornings and evenings).

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

How is your paws doing today?

13. memmarmite

He's still quite loose, bless him. I've ordered a couple of tubes of that kaolin paste so hopefully that'll help settle his poorly bum!

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh no! How often does he poop now? Normally, just a bit gooey? Or more often?

15. memmarmite

No more frequently than I'd consider normal (I don't really have any basis for comparison as he's my first one, but he goes maybe four or five times over 24 hours), it's just gooey...

16. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

How old is the little one?

17. memmarmite

He's ten weeks old. We started changing the food when we brought him home and I'm wondering whether it was just too much change all at once.

18. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, probably too much change. Sorry I really should have asked yesterday how old he is :eek:.

Do you know whether he was ok with the old food (the food the breeder etc was feeding)? If yes, then I would be inclined to start mixing his food with the old stuff again until he has settled a bit more.

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

One more question memmarmite. Is the kitten still sprightly or does he appear to have a fever (is he lethargic, not interested in food)? Does he still drink?

20. memmarmite

He's eating and drinking really well and is as bouncy and hyperactive as ever! :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice