Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Squirrels!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by bobbyw, Apr 14, 2011.

1. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Morning

Does anyone else find that their dog becomes like a dog possessed if it sees a squirrel when out on a walk (or also a cat)?

I have just nearly had my shoulder pulled out of its socket by my boy when he saw a squirrel. He saw it before I did which may have been part of the problem, but boy is he stronger than he looks (or I'm weaker than I thought!)

Not sure whether I can do anything to make squirrels less interesting as they generally run, so obviously he thinks he needs to chase. Hubby suggested getting a squirrel on a stick (?!?) to use for training in the garden. We are already working on leave with other distractions such as dogs, but I fear squirrels and cats will be his downfall.

2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Haha we have the same problem! My arm was nearly yanked out its socket earlier in the week and its still hurting from Makita the git.

We saw 7 cats in one 40 min walk! :mad: It was a nightmare, I was near in tears by the time we got home, I felt such a failure! Our next door neighbour even opened there door and threw their cat out as we were walking past! :eek:Talk about a death wish!

I have now got Makita used to a Halti and we either sit and I try hold his attention or Il hold his head near me and walk past not letting him to focus on the cat etc. (Depends ont he situation and whether I have one or two dogs with me).

Our main priority at the moment is learning to walk past other dogs calmly without wanting to play / staring to much so cats and squirrels are on the list of distractions to work on.

Good Luck :)

3. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

There's quite a lot of threads on dogs and squirrels, they seem to be most dogs achilles heel!!
    My dog chases squirrels, i let him, buggers that they are I swear they love to tease dogs. But i've said before he needs to chase, so because he can chase them and rabbits I can call him off them mid-chase should I need to or tell him to leave and he will.
    I've got a toy squirrel, he loves to kill it, but its no where near as fun as chasing a real squirrel!!

4. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Yep this time of year :eek: oh my goodness have to be on high alert for rabbits, squirrels as he enjoys chasing them and hedgehogs as he likes those to! I believe hedgehogs come out around this time anyway :blink:. I have also noticed a massive increase in cats around here, not sure why but they are everywhere when out on a walk, loads!

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie loves to chase Monkjac deer! They're about 3 times her size with some mean-looking antlers - I hate to think what would happen if she got too close to one! :eek:

6. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I'm not alone then!

I swear one of the squirrels this morning was taunting him, it kept coming closer and just sat watching him just out of his reach and when I tried to move my dog away, the squirrel followed.

Similar to Makita, I am still working on teaching my dog to walk calmly past other dogs as he thinks it's his right to play with every single dog he sees so this is our main challenge, and working on recall (again not saying hello/playing with every dog he sees) so I think squirrels will just go on the list. Maybe as I get better at holding his attention while other dogs are around, this will help with squirrels also (I'm dreaming aren't I?).

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Mine ate fine with cats as they live with them, although bear cries as he wants to say hi lol

But scribbles are. Different story we saw one ages ago if he hadn't been on lead he wouldve climbed the tree I'm sure of it! Then for ages after went we went past that place he would look out for them

Zeb isn't to fussed unless they are right next to him

8. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes my two are the same if they see a squirrel on the fence, they go crazy. My youngest Bichon is also obsessed with cats and one ran across our path yesterday whilst our walking and they nearly pulled my arm off.:eek: My oldest Bichon never used to bother much about cats although he would chase one off in the garden but the youngest is sniffing for them and looking for them in the places that she thinks they might be.:rolleyes:

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Squirrels are just too tempting for my lot too. I once watched Adam run out of a park along a main road chasing a squirrel!!:eek:
    We now have to tailor off lead walks to squirrel safe zones so at least if they chase one it wont be near any roads..
    Im not sure about cats though...although they always struggle to get to them Im not sure what they would do? I think Adam would probably try and grab it by the throat (which would be slightly damp and annoying for the cat at worst!!) and the girls I think would just want to lick them to death.
    I did pick Hannah up the other day so she could see into next doors garden at the 2 cats there. She was shaking and whining and the cats obviously couldnt believe that dogs came in such a small size coz they kept getting closer and closer!!:rolleyes:

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Be careful around Munkjac deer. I know several dogs that have been badly maimed by them.

11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes I can imagine :eek: At the moment she's on a long line as she is in season so it's ok but it is a bit of a worry :confused:

12. pinklady

pinklady PetForums Member

Chi Chi isnt bothered by squirrels......yet!!!!! as for cats, well i think all the cats that live near me have huge balls or a death wish!!!!! as they will walk in the garden and not bother with her. Mitch is not keen on cats, he doesnt chase them just cries when he see's them, squirrels on the other hand, he loves to chase!!!!, if you have seen the film "UP" he is just like the dog in that LOL.

13. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

Jess goes crazy when she spots the grey squirrel in the bushes near the river!! goes absolutely bonkers!! No getting her away from the spot when she's spied him!!

Cats are a nightmare too. My left shoulder gives me jip to start with, Jess yanking on it every time we spot one isn't doing a bit of good!!

Flippin' mare man!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice