Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Squirrel obsessed

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Biscuit123, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Hi everyone!

I have a dog named pookie who was raised two years of her life where there were no squirrels. Lots of bunnies and she had even caught a couple a few times. So we moved where there is squirrels and pookie has never seen a squirrel in her life. She's super obsessed like her entire life revolves around squirrels. Whenever we go on walks her head will be cranked up high looking for squirrels in the tree tops. If i take her out in the backyard she'll won't even bother playing with her toys or her other dog friends, she'll just go hunt for squirrels. Will pookie figure it out that she can't catch a squirrel and eventually forget about them or will she just be forever obsessed? And is there any way I can take her mind off squirrels?

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not entirely, in my experience ;)

My lurcher was the same when I first got him and although he has calmed down a bit with a bit of redirection and telling him to leave it, he will still chase if he gets the chance.

On the garden, I just try to make sure the squiggs get warned before I let him out so they can clear the decks.

I’d say his obsession with cats is worse tbh! :D

MissSpitzMum likes this.
  3. Keith 66

Keith 66 PetForums Junior

Squirrels are such fun for a dog to chase. This is fine until the day when they catch one, the grey squirrel has a fearsome bite & will fight back if caught. This can put a dog off but in most cases it turns the dog into a complete barbarian where squizzers are concerned & from then on its their lifes work to do in as many as they can. Its just the way it is!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice