Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Springer Spaniel Puppy advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SandraP, Jun 3, 2010.

1. SandraP

SandraP PetForums Member

Hi, Im bringing my new Springer Puppy home at the end of July woohoo im so excited.:thumbup:
    Does anyone have any advice on springer pups? also we will be crate training him. does anyone know what size of crate i should be using? xx

2. Defender

Defender PetForums Newbie

Hi

good choice......:)

I use 36" long crate..but I divided it so its only enough for her sleeping comfortably..and as she grows I am making the enclosure bigger...

she is now just over four months old:thumbup:

3. rona

rona Guest

Springer pups are basically the same as any other for the first few weeks. ;)
    The characteristics start to show at about 4 months :D
    Have fun :thumbup:

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Hi first can i just say congratulations on your choice of breed, WOW your going to have a wonderfull time springers are fantastic!!!!!!!

First i would always advice, recall, no springer should be lead walked except on roads or obviously when on lead dogs only are permitted (we always avoid those places) Springers are very easy to train recall if done young and i have always done it the very next day we had brought ours home only for 5 mins then build it up this will obviously have to be done in the garden till old enough to go out, ours was let of the lead the very first time out in the big wide world, at 12 weeks at this age they have a natural desire to want to be near you so even if your springer only wanders a few inches from you shout his/her name and treat they very quickly realise that when their name is shouted and they respond your response is positive get a treat and a fuss, springers need to be learned good recall as they need to be taken into their natural environment they are working dogs and if kept as pets will naturally work in their own right so for safety and control they need to be alerted by which command you choose and repond by coming back.

Dont make the mistake of listening to people when they say "you will never tire a springer out" always go with quality rather than quantity, take a springer out street lead walking for 3 hours he will come back and climb the walls with frustration 45mins to an hour off lead in woods field will give them enough physical exercise as they will go at 90mph but will also get the mental exercise which is as important.

Set clear boundaries from the start and stick to them, dont let those beautifull puppy eyes fool ya, he will be waiting for that opportunity, give that inch and he will take a mile, springers are eagre to please, do show them when they have pleased you but at the same time they need to know in no uncertain terms that bad behaviour wont be tolerated.

Feed a good quality natural food and springer on additives ot a food with too higher protein will be very difficult to control and calm.

I could go on all night, but anything else you think of asking do ask. Now all i can say is enjoy your springer ime sure you will, get those all terrain boots out and expect a few muddy paws in the house when walking he/she will find water and mud where you never thought existed.

1 person likes this.
  5. SandraP

SandraP PetForums Member

Hi everyone
    thank you for your replies:) im pretty sure i will have loads more questions when hes home, he will be almost 11 weeks old when i collect him, so just starting to gather up bits n pieces for him each week.
    What food would you recommend i use as there is so much choice out there :eek:

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive had 3 springer pups from age 8 weeks and they were all fed different at the time, molly our last one, she will be 2yrs old in july was the fed on burns from being 5 weeks and she has been the calmest, easiest to train, much more attentive because of her been so calm so for me it would have to be burns some people will have food that they think is the best but for me yes definetly burns.

7. rona

rona Guest

Don't change food until pp has settled and had all inoculations.
    Best to be kept on whatever the breeder is feeding for a while

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice