Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Springer puppy has slight ear infection

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by LFC1, May 23, 2019.

1. LFC1

LFC1 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    I've just had my 4 month Springer at the vets. She said there was a little bit of wax in one of his ears so hes not a slight infection. She gave me some drops. I.was wondering what causes ear infections in dogs and what I could do to prevent it in the future. I was abit shocked when told so didnt ask the vet much. Also hes growling and biting bad when I try to put them in. Any ideas how to make it easier.

Thanks

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Someone with more knowledge than me will add more but as I understand it, the shape and position of the ear along with hairyness means there isn't much air gets in and bacteria can build up and cause infections. Plucking the ears is supposed to help, and there are products like Thornitt's powder that are supposed to be beneficial too. You might find warming the ear drops to body temperature helps IF THAT DOESN'T AFFECT THEIR EFFECTIVENESS. Also if there are two of you, one person gently squeezing tiny amounts of squeezy cheese from a tube might keep your dog occupied while the other person does the ears.

lullabydream likes this.
  3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Ear infections are pretty common. I think @JoanneF covered most of it above me but also if you have a dog who enjoys playing in water that can cause infections if they’re getting their ears wet and then not drying out.

#3 McKenzie, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    lullabydream likes this.
  4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Another indicator of ear infections are food allergies too.

Am not saying this is the case with a dog so young, whose a Springer which has the ideal ear shape as suggested to make bugs grow nice.

She's also young, so an immature immune system won't be helping.

5. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I have used Quistel ear cleaner once a week for my dogs have used it for about 18 years and never had a ear infection with any of my dogs my Curlycoated retriever had a hell of a lot of fur in his ears but using the Quistel he never got a ear infection as well as cleaning the ears it also kills mites in the ears:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice