Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Springer, no longer able to jump or walk up stairs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jdee, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Jdee

Jdee PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I am new to this forum but am in need of some help or advice.

I have 2 Springers, both brothers aged 4.

One of them has had a worsening issue for around 2 years now where he cannot jump onto the couch and even struggles to climb the stairs. He cant jump into my car neither.

The strange thing is he never looks in pain when he walks and can run full pace when on the fields. If he jumps while running he is better.

He has been seen by 2 vets, both have x-rayed him and can find nothing. One thinks its a front leg issue and one could not diagnose.

We are pretty sure that it is a physical issue as he was given a strong dose of painkillers for 7 days and we noticed a huge improvement.

The vet recently told us he was depressed and no doubt it is because of this issue as we do our best to make them happy and his brother is great.

We have been told the next stage is an MRI which would 99% show the issue buts its £1200 and we dont have that cash available.

Please can you help?

Thanks, Joe

2. rona

rona Guest

If two vets can't find it, ours would only be guesses and would have to be checked by a vet anyway.
    I assume you haven't insurance?

3. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

My advice would be take him to an orthopoedic surgeon - vets without this training can miss things even with xrays as they did with my Great Dane and diagnosed cruciate ligament when it was spinal and serious!

Why not try your local vet school? Explain the situation they may take you as they are keen to investigate unusual cases.

4. Jdee

Jdee PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. What prices are we looking for a orthopedic surgeon? Our vet did suggest it but we wanted to test the pain killers first. It sure will be the next option now we know its probably not psychological.

Thanks,

5. Jdee

Jdee PetForums Newbie

Hey guys,

Got an appointment with the North West's leading dog surgery through my vet. Hopefully we will get him sorted once and for all.

Joe

6. rona

rona Guest

Good luck.
    Let us know how you get on

7. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

That's good keep us updated. Good luck.

8. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Good luck :) who are you seeing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice