Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Springer/Collie x

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by roarcam, Feb 11, 2019.

1. roarcam

roarcam PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    We are looking for a family pup/young dog and are tempted by what is being called a "Sprollie" with a price tag of £450.
    While i like the look of the pup (not met yet) and we are attracted by the mix of breeds, I am hesitant of paying £450 for what is a cross breed.
    I'm just looking for some thoughts, advice, opinions etc!
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

This is a cross between two high energy working breeds. The first thing to consider is whether you will be able to meet the dog's physical needs through plenty of exercise and mental needs through training, working etc - bored dogs tend to create their own entertainment and it often manifests in unwanted behaviours.

As a crossbreed, it is unlikely the parents were health tested. Hip dysplasia is a risk factor in both breeds and could be inherited from either parent or both, getting a dog from parents who have been tested reduces the risk (and the vet bills). Both breeds can also have eye problems and that's another test that good breeders will do before breeding. So long term health is another factor to consider - obviously there are no guarantees but buying from litters where the parents have had the tests cuts the risk of pain for the dog and heartache and expense for you.

Torin., O2.0 and Nettles like this.
  3. roarcam

roarcam PetForums Newbie

Thanks for that.
    Apparently both parents are the family pets but I don't know if they have been health tested.
    I'm a little bit wary now so will likely hold off.

4. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Are you looking for a family pet? If you would like to say what your thoughts are on grooming, exercise, size, trainability and looks (all these are important) some of us might be able to suggest breeds if that would help. If you are able to get to Crufts next month they have Discover Dogs where owners of all sorts will let you meet their dogs and tell you about their traits.

Torin. and O2.0 like this.
  5. roarcam

roarcam PetForums Newbie

Yes, a family pet. We do have some ideas and have spoken to a number of people.
    We are an active family with teenage boys. We like to run so would hope to have a dog that could run, too. A medium sized dog would be best, trainable but with minimal grooming.

6. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

I only paid £100 for my Border Collie x Whippet, parents had had some health testing and I know pedigree of both sides and health tests.

7. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

What about a Labrador?

Look for a line that isn’t too ‘chunky’ if you’re looking for a dog to run with you.

They’re very trainable, because they usually really like food, are sociable and easy going.

Need lots of stuff to do/chew as they can be very busy and easily bored as pups.

Health tests of parents are needed as Hip issues occur in less carefully bred pups; I would look at Champdogs and the Kennel Club Breeders list.

Alternatively, Crufts is coming soon. If you can get there it’s a great place to look at a particular breed (go on the right day), chat to people about their dogs and maybe get a heads up about planned litters.

8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I know a few sprollies and they are all nice dogs, but I think £450 is a high price for one.

Dog Walker Woman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice