Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spring (or rather autumn) clean help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gerbilmummy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. gerbilmummy

gerbilmummy PetForums Senior

Hello everyone,

I've decided to have a 'spring' clean.
    I'd like to go through all my stuff and get rid of anything I have not used in the last year and have a good clean.
    Thing is I have no idea where to start, so ideas please....

2. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

One room at a time, then one cupboard at a time :D then toss stuff into piles of "keep" "rubbish" and "give away"

3. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Do you know my local pub landlady?

This weekend the silly moo has decided to go all Christmassy...Talking Santas...decorations...tinsel,the lot!

4. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

oh god, xmas is nearly here :( I'm over it already.

5. gerbilmummy

Err no, why?

6. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

'Cos her calendar is as nuts as yours :)

7. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I would suggest going room by room and make a check list of everything you need to do in each room.

I would start with emptying cupboards, drawers, shelves etc, sorting all that into keep, throw away, donate. Then clean the cupboards/drawers/shelves and put everything back.
    Then do the dusting etc and finally hoover/sweep/clean the floor.
    When you go to empty shelves/cupboards etc, do it one at a time otherwise you will get overwhelmed, also stick to one room until you have finished that one then go to the next.
    When I did my spring clean I found it took 5 days - one day for the bedroom, one for bathroom, three for the kitchen and lounge, so make sure you give yourself plenty of time.

A couple of suggestions, make sure you play some good, fun music, that really helps, also remember to cross off jobs once finished, it really helps to see you going down the list. :) I used a new piece of paper for each list as it helps to be able to throw that piece off paper away once the room is done.

Before you start have a box or bucket full of everything you need so you don't have to keep leaving the room you are working on. Plus be sure to remember to drinks lots and have rests.

Good Luck.

p.s. 'Spring' cleaning can be done at anytime and I always do mine in August/September ready for winter. So you are not alone.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I've just done a bit of a clear out too. Got rid of a large sack of stuff on Freecycle. Can't be bothered to do a bootsale, or put in the classifieds, have donated loads of stuff recently to the charity shops, so this way someone else gets some use out of it, rather than it ending up in landfill - especially as it's far too good for that.

Good Luck - but don't overface yourself - otherwise you lose heart and end up in a worse state than when you started :D

9. gerbilmummy

Thanks for the advice waterlily, animallover and lurcherlad.
    I decided to start with my bedroom then work round my home, completed the bedroom over the weekend and had monday and yesterday off, going to start the worst room now - the lounge!

If you have seen no activity by me here come Saturday get a search party going will you? I might be lost in the maze of stuff! :001_tongue:

Wish me luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice