Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spring Cleaning 2017

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ceiling Kitty, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

I have a month off work, so it's time to get stuff done!

I'm going to attempt to give the house a full clean and sort-out over the next couple of weeks.

Everything needs a really good vacuum - you know, the kind where you move ALL the furniture. I need to organise the kitchen cupboards and clean the oven. And the garage and spare room are just dumping grounds at the moment. I'm going to hire a skip.

Because I've been working away on and off recently, I've not been home for three weeks. OH has been a little lax so I need to start by catching up with general cleaning - for instance there's a pile of washing the size of Wales that needs doing.

The main barrier to this entire escapade is my own pathological laziness. I hope this thread will provide me with a degree of accountability.

Anyone else subscribe to the 'Spring Cleaning' concept?

[​IMG]

2. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

Thank you. I was actually thinking of this tonight... I needed someone to tell me they're doing it too to kick me into action haha! I'm doing it this weekend as I have a friend staying over the easter weekend! My flat is tiny but though there's not much in here, the mess looks more "concentrated"!:Sorry Hopefully the weather will be good enough to dry my washing outside so I could do a couple of loads... lord give me strength because part of the cleaning will be getting rid of the old sealant in the shower and getting a new layer on :Arghh :Banghead

LinznMilly and ForestWomble like this.
  3. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Did mine a few weeks ago, when I also decorated our bedroom for the first time in about 20 years. :oops: I bought cordless vacuums and a steam cleaner. Anything I hadn't used for 2 years got chucked out, however convinced I was that I should keep it just in case. That was quite painful. It's now a doddle to keep relatively clean and tidy. I highly recommend laminate flooring, cordless vacuums and steam cleaning. :)

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

You mean the one time in the year when I actually do clean anything in my house??:Bored

nah, sounds like too much like hard work!:Penguin

5. shadowmare

Speaking of cleaning: anyone's got good advice on getting blood out of the carpet? It's carpet floor so throwing it out is out of the question... :confused:

6. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

You can't hide it. Luminol. ;)

lymorelynn and kittih like this.
  7. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Being allergic to dust I have to keep on top of cleaning or I'll be ill so furniture gets moved frequently and the attachments for my hoover are good friends of mine :D

Could do with a shove though as in the middle of changing our spare room into a little tv room for dd.

Other than the computer/desk and printer (sittig on a cupboard) I've moved everything else into my wardrobe room, its mainly paperwork which I pile instead of deal with :Arghh so that needs sorting out now.

The walls need painting and shelves need re-painting, new lightshade. Tv cable is in and there's a small sofabed on its way here soon, so I need to shift :oops:

Thing is we're away for a long weekend now then away for Easter so have no clue when I'm going to get it all done.

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

For ovens, this stuff is really good

http://www.ovenpride.com/

And if you don't have one, treat yourself to a Karcher window vacuum or similar - it really cuts window cleaning down to next to no time.

9. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Did my oven last week :Smug:Angelic:Angelic:Angelic

Also umm shoved even more crap in the spare room and shut the door............. :Joyful
    Tidied the garden - need to clean and repaint the deck............ :Arghh
    Also need to organise a plumber - fairly convinced central heating has a leak, and a man who can to finally get our driveway done....... :rolleyes:

LinznMilly likes this.
  10. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

What is this word 'cleaning'?

11. Michebe

Michebe PetForums Member

Most of ours has been done, tho the oven needs doing, might get someone in to do that at some point tho

12. shadowmare

Haha my landlord just doesn't need to know it was there to begin with! :confused: I cut axel's nail too short and it was bleeding for ages my wooden floor in the living room looked like there was a slaughter in there... woke up to get to work the next morning and realised Axel restarted the bleeding by licking the paw all night and got plenty of it on the carpet floor in my bedroom!

13. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Slight Zoflora addiction going on :Smuggrin

image.jpg

There are three more bottles in the utility room :oops:

evel-lin, Char8607 and lymorelynn like this.
  14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

A rug! ;)

noushka05, LinznMilly and SpringDance like this.
  15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I got used Ovenpride the other day and gave my oven a shock! :)

16. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Senior

I've made a start again, but with the back yard. Last year, I decided to convert an old brick shed into a home office/garden storage area. Was going well until part of the brick shed walls fell down. Demolished that and bought a wooden shed to convert. Again, going great until I ended up in hospital with heart problems in September so it all came to a stop. Before I can start on spring cleaning the house, I need to get the shed ready to put all the shed stuff (which is in the dining room and living room) back out there. I think I'm almost there! :) I've also tried to make it more dog friendly, however Obie doesn't like the grass mats for toileting on- only for snoozing and chewing his toys.o_O

Before:

After (well almost):

17. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Looking good, can't beat a shed to escape to :D

18. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I had a good clean and scrub a couple of weeks ago and also subscribe to @Elles ethos of if it has been used/worn in two years out it goes, I have such little space and storage in my house it has certainly curbed my hoarding tendencies, thankfully though my oven burst into flames so it saved me the job of having to clean it as I have a lovely beautiful shiny new oven which is supposedly self cleaning and I brought a lovely little enamel lidded roaster to cook my roast chickens in as they tend to be the things that spit all over the oven door, oh and I brought a little rechargeable dyson hoover thing and I have never hoovered so much purely because it is just so easy and handy, it's ridiculous how life changing it is and I have hoovered virtually every single day since getting it, takes two minute and I have hoovered the whole house and emptied it in the time it used to take to get the old cumbersome one out plug it in ready to go, I love my hoover, I am a looser :oops:

19. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Blitzed the kitchen a couple of weeks ago, even painted the walls. Shifted bed in the main bedroom this morning and vacuumed under there :Jawdrop (can't remember when I last did that but a long while ago by the dust :Sorry) Sofas get shifted regularly to remove all of the cat toys :Cat Next job is to sort out my wardrobe (s) - I seem to have stuff migrating into my son's room since he left home :p

20. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I know exactly what you mean - they are amazing!

MontyMaude likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice