Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spotty 10 week old great dane

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by RagnarTheDane, Sep 24, 2018.

1. RagnarTheDane

RagnarTheDane PetForums Newbie

Hi folks,

Wondering if anyone has seen this before?

Our 10-week old Great Dane boy Ragnar has lots of spots on his skin. They are on his ears, the back of his head and on his elbows. He is booked in for his second set of jags at the vets on Thursday so will ask the vet about it but thought I would see if anyone on here has experienced this before?

They seem to be little pussy spots that burst if you put any pressure on them like when you brush him. Is this common for puppies?

Thanks

D-A

Attached Files:

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Puppy acne is quite common. Best to check with the vet when you go as they can cause infections if it's bad. It does look sore, I'd definitely get the vet to have a good look as it could be something else.

3. RagnarTheDane

Thanks Sarah, I'll be getting the vet to check him over on Thursday. They don't seem to be bothering him at the moment but everything that I have read online about puppy acne seems to be around the mouth caused by them not being clean but this is on the top of his head.

I have a feeling the ones on his haunches were caused from when he was young and with his littler laying about in pee and dirt all the time. The ones on his head and neck seem to be infected like little puss filled pimples. Hopefully, they will go with some antibiotics or antibiotic wipes.

Thanks for the advice :)

4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would guess puppy acne too, though it seems odd that it's all over his body. Not an emergency, but do have the vet check on them, could be a sign of underlying suppressed immune system worth looking in to.

Oh dear, did his breeder not keep everything clean? That's not an auspicious start for a pup :(

Sarah H and lullabydream like this.
  5. RagnarTheDane

No, it was clean, as clean as it can be when you have 8 Great Dane pups running about and playing and jumping all over each other. Puppies aren't the cleanest babies when they are young :)

I was thinking suppressed immune system too, he seems fine in himself and very active so I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but thought I'd ask in case anyone else has seen this before and knew of a fix before he goes to the vet and I get charged a fortune for antibiotic wipes that I could get from the pharmacy for half the price ;)

6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm very familiar with great dane litters, and there is no reason a puppy should ever be "laying about in pee and dirt all the time" - those are your words.
    Was the litter kept outside?

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  7. RagnarTheDane

All the time wasn't the most accurate wording by me .They where inside and in a pen after leaving their mother.

It's almost impossible to keep the area puppies live in clean all the time as they seem to pee all the time. Especially Ragnar hahaha no idea where he stores it all but he pees all the time :p

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm afraid I don't agree.

It is entirely possible to keep a litter in a constantly clean environment, by removing any poop/wee as soon as it's done and cleaning the area.

If ever I had a pup walk through some before I got to it, I would remove that pup and sponge him clean.

9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yup :) Possible and preferable. Pups who get used to laying in their own filth are much harder to potty train as they lose their natural aversion to keeping their living spaces clean.
    I'm not crazy about the idea of a litter being kept in a pen - mom should still be around anyway until they go to their new homes, but even kept in a pen, the pen should be kept clean and pups should already be inclined to pee and poop in certain areas, not all over the place. (Mom usually does a good job of encouraging that if she's helped by keeping the area clean and given enough room.)

In any case, iffy conditions could most definitely be related to immune issues. So definitely worth the vet checking it all out. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice