Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sponge filter

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

hi all,

Firstly apologies for posting so much! I tried looking for other forums as to not over do it on this one but couldn’t find any that compare!

I have just seen a couple sponge filters on wish.com for £1 and was thinking about purchasing one as I have two air stones going in my tank and thought if it was beneficial why not replace an air stone for a sponge filter!
    but have a few questions

Is it beneficial? I already have a 1000LPH canister filter on the go will this really help!

Is there a risk? Will this sponge filter build it’s own good bacteria and compete with the other?

Will i need to keep the air pump going 24/7? I currently run two air pumps through out the day an turn off at night

If anyone has any advice it would be great! I mean even if there’s is a small benefit I may as well as it’s a pound!

Cheers :)

Attached Files:

2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

I have just swapped my long air curtain for a sponge filter and I may get another one as my air pump should be strong enough to run two.

How beneficial it is I couldn't really say for sure, it certainly should end up building it's own colony of good bacteria, though obviously the amount of bacteria you are able to grow in total across all your filters is limited depending on your bioload. If you want to keep that bacteria alive then yes, ideally the air pump would need to be on 24/7.

They are useful to have as a spare filter, if you ever need or want to set up another tank quickly you can just move the sponge filter across and you're done, for me I think they are more beneficial than just an air stone for that reason alone. Some people don't like the look of them though!

Fishnewbie likes this.
  3. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I don't have sponge filters in my two larger tanks but I do in my two smaller tanks.
    I do find different makes have different effectiveness.
    My best one is a double sponge from Amazon, the worst was a super cheap intake sponge cover that just didn't allow water through.
    I do find the shrimp really love feeding off mine.
    I am considering getting some USB air pumps for the winter to run off our battery banks if we have a power cut a sponge filter on them would be a good idea.

Fishnewbie likes this.
  4. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

Thanks for the response, so if I then turn it off over night will this be negative for the tank? It’s in my room so sleeping is a bit hard with a air pump hammering around all night ...:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice