Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

'spiteful' dogs. Anyone else got one

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Blitz, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I know you are not supposed to give dogs human attributes but I am not sure how else you describe Candy's behaviour.

She and Toffee are good friends but she is very spiteful towards her. She will often lay on her bed and silently threaten her so she does not dare walk by her to come in the room. That is not so bad but sometimes they are both laid on chairs in the sun lounge and Toffee wants to come in to the sitting room with us. I will hear her crying and I have to stand between her and Candy to let her through. Tonight though Candy excelled herself. Toffee was crying so I went to fetch her and found Candy laid on top of her to stop her getting off the chair :eek:

Earlier she was attention seeking with me. She had just come in from a walk with my husband and I was watching tv. She got a toy, got on a chair next to the table I was sitting by and pushed her toy onto the table till the remote fell off. I slung the toy off and she brought it back, put it on the edge of the table and pushed till everything fell off the table.

she is totally self centred and I think if she was a person she would be quite horrible!

2. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Doesn't sound like the sort of person you'd choose as a friend... knowing my luck she'd be family :eek:

3. Pupcakes

Pupcakes Lady of The Terrors.

Nasty Candy...Nasty Candice...it must be something to do with the names!

4. Megan345

Megan345 PetForums VIP

The bit with the toys sounds just like my dog! I can be working or typing, and she'll come and put her ring on top of anything I'm doing. If I tell her to go away, she still drops it on me before lying down very nicely :rolleyes:

5. Luz

Luz PetForums VIP

I have a dog a bit like this! Abi is the only one that can work the Kong Wobbler. She spills out the treats and then doesn't bother eating them. Instead she sits there like 'Lady Muck' daring the other 2 to come and get one! They daren't. She waits till Daisy is in 'flagrante delicto' with her 'humpy slipper' and runs off with it! If she and Daisy have had a spat she follows D about with stiff legs (she looks like she's goose stepping) itching to start again!

6. dancemagicdance

dancemagicdance PetForums VIP

Pixie isn't spiteful bit she definitely has human attributes, if you do something that she doesn't like then she will completely ignore you and refuse to even look at you until you give her a cuddle or a kiss on the cheek, then she will immediately be herself again :blink:

7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Kali can be spiteful, in fact she is always spiteful to my little terrier crosses. I have a baby gate on the kitchen door because she has attacked them (and Marty) in the past and does it with a vengeance, always draws blood!
    So she will lie in front of the gate and silently show her teeth to them or she will block their view of us by sitting close up to the gate. If she has a toy she will lie with it in front of her and show her teeth constantly at them or occasionally she'll run up to the gate full pelt and growl and snarl at them. Sometimes she'll just lie near the gate and growl at them. Recently found out she has arthritis but that's no excuse because she's been like this for years.

I hate it because they are so sweet, as is Marty and they get on so well with each other, she has no reason to be so nasty. The only dog she can mix with is Flynn, her son and just lately she's been growling at him on and off. She realły is a pain and if it wasn't for her we'd have a very peaceful house and my other dogs could do whatever they want.
    Seven years of her bad behaviour and not fair on the other dogs at all, poor mites! :(

#7 Malmum, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Candy does not need to be openly aggressive - she does not say a word, no body language or anything but Toffee understands. As do visiting dogs, again with Candy doing nothing they are very wary of her.
    I do think lying on top of Toffee to trap her takes the biscuit though.

9. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Naughty Candy.:p

We've got Jay.:rolleyes:
    She often gets Moll out of whatever bed she's lying in , despite there being other empty ones. It's done more in a crafty way though than spiteful. She was quite picky with Scruff for a long time and would stop her going through doors etc.

We dont always realise how much growling she does- its like second nature to her and I always worry if theres a different dog here that they aren't going to tolerate it as well as my others do.

She hasn't always been the easiest dog to live with and I dont think many would have put up with her, but we're just used to her ways.

10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Oh yes, the foster. I know it's boredom but I removed everything off the side and put this bag of flour really far back - so he couldn't possibly reach it, or so I thought. I'd put flour on the sides so I could determine which of the boys (Pen can't reach) was pulling things off the side. I came home at 2am Sunday morning (after work) to find this.

[​IMG]

Seems I'd removed everything so he'd decided to grab what I hadn't put away and just destroy my house.

11. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yep, sounds like Tiger! He will show his teeth at Ruby & Mabel for pretty much no reason - he also does the attention seeking thing with toys. He sounds very much like Candy - everything has to work in his favour all the time and if he's not happy with something then the other dogs know about it - but having said that, 99% of the time he is super with them, especially the pup :)

12. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

Frank is a bit like that.
    If Freddie has got a toy or teddy, frank will go up to him and grab it off him. Freddie will let him though :(
    Also, I've found frank on their bed with a bone and poor Freddie outside in the cold just the other side of the dog flap afraid to come in cause every time he pokes his head in, frank growls at him. I did step in on this occasion and Freddie ran past him looking scared.:eek:

It's difficult to know what to do cause I think I should just let them sort it out and Freddie will stand up for himself when he's had enough. He's just very placid and laid back.
    On the other hand, they have a strong bond and get on very well...perhaps frank wears the trousers :rolleyes:

13. LauraJane9

LauraJane9 PetForums Senior

My Mum has a spiteful dog, he is a collie named Harvey and won't let her other dog Ben do anything! If Ben is getting attention then Harvey attacks him, if Ben tries to get on the bed Harvey attacks him and poor Ben can't even have toys because even though Harvey isn't interested in them he will take them and hide them just so Ben can't have them, Harvey is a very mean dog when it comes to other dogs and people outside the family (he has a taste for small children and the elderly!) but if it is just the family and him he is a beautiful affectionate dog.

#13 LauraJane9, Oct 29, 2012
  14. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

She sounds very much like my Mia. Although she usualy uses a toy or a treat to get the better of Kai.
    The times we have been sitting in the lounge and wondered why Kai wasn't in there,only to fine Mia laying across the door entrance. I don't usually interfere,but the other evening Kai pinned Mia on the floor and made her yelp, which is very much not him at all. I yelled at the pair of them.

15. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

Oh yeah, spiteful/attention seeking dogs in this house too!

There's enough stag bars to go around but that's not good enough for Willow, she want's whatever one's the other dog's have! She won't take Ruby's because she knows that she will tell her off but she will try to pull Alfie's out of his mouth because he is a big softy and won't tell her off. She's the same with other toy's too.

Another thing my dog's do....if Alfie is sat on my knee and Ruby want's to get on, she will pick his fave toy up and start waving it around in front of him because she knows he can't resist playing :rolleyes: when he jumps down to get the toy she drops it and jumps on my knee!

16. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

Rufus can be a bit like this... or maybe i'd call it jealous. Not sure.

He hates it when any of the other pets get things and acts like a spoilt brat. Especially the cats. If they get treats, he throws a strop and tries to snatch the treats off me before I can give them to the cats. Usually with his own treats he sits nicely and takes them very gently, but not with a kitty treat. My cat was sat on the desk yesterday and I went to give her a treat and Rufus legged it over and nearly jumped straight on the desk so she couldn't get it! Same with the tortoise.. He hates me putting treats in Stewie's pen and tries to get in to get them. It's not that he's protective over food or treats because if he has his friends over he'll happily swap food with them and swap treats, as long as I don't give the other animal the treats instead of him.

He's the same with my love too. He hates seeing me give another dog any attention and goes and shoves the other dog out the way like "this is MY Mum... clear off!". He's not like this with people.. I can give my OH cuddles and he's not bothered about that, it's just other animals.

It's strange because usually he's a lovely boy, but these two things bring out his jealous 'bratty' side and he gets all silly. It's not aggressive or growly or anything, it's just like he's spitting his dummy out and throwing all the toys out the pram. Brat!

#16 LahLahsDogs, Oct 29, 2012
  17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It seems like a lot of us have 'horrid' dogs. They are of course our favourites as they have such strong characters and love us best. :D

18. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

My CS was just like that towards my GD. Despite the size difference he would bully him mercilessly. Every few months it would get so bad he'd draw blood, so we had a muzzle for him. He only had to wear it for around 10 minutes and it would get the message through for another while. Everyone hated Bingley - the kennels, visitors. No one could believe how he'd growl and snarl and stop the GD greeting visitors for example.

When the GD died Bingley turned into a completely different dog. When he went to kennels they said how lovely he was, and I had to remind them he was the same dog they used to slate! Everyone who came to the house loved him. He was the best behaved dog in the world - so responsive to any command.

We sussed out that he had a great sense of what was right, and what was wrong. For example, whilst we were eating he would never dream of coming near us. The GD just bumbled through life, being a great clumsy oaf. We thought Bingley had got stressed out because Darcy would break all the rules. He also used to tread on Bingley accidentally and didn't we all know about it when that happened. Bingley used to get on his back feet and snarl down Darcy's ear! Darcy never, ever retaliated! We actually used to wish he would!

When Darcy died, Bingley was no longer stressed, and was so lovely.

He should always have been the only dog in a household.

Unfortunately that's the reason that although I'd love more than one dog, I will never get another one just in case they didn't get on with each other. For the 9 years I had two dogs neither of them was able to enjoy life properly. Mind you, Darcy lived until he was 11 which is a good age for a GD! (but I suspect Bingley thought he did it to spite him! :D)

19. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Muddy isn't spiteful but sometimes he wants his own way and has no respect for Alfie at all when he's like that. Luckily it hardly ever happens in the house but when we are out he is quite often bumps and blocks Alfie from moving forward.
    Normally it's when he's either got one of his huge logs and it's started to feel heavy in his mouth but he doesn't want to leave it :rolleyes: or when we have started to move away from water and he wants yet another swim :)

20. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Poor Zipper lives with 2 'spiteful' girls ;)

If they are already on the sofa he won't jump up (we have to hide them) - he won't walk through a door way if they are lying near it and we quite often hear him crying because Lilly has climbed on top of him in his bed or he feels trapped upder the dinning room table.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice