Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spider phobia

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by nutcracker, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Blimey!!! :eek: lol

2. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

i tell them to leave as they dont pay me rent! then my cats eat them

3. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I got one of those sparys on the market that supposedly keep spiders out. I have to say it didn't work, unless it did and I just trapped all the spiders inside!

4. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I can quite happily hold a tarantula and daddy long legs however house and garden spiders are another story!! eeek!! I usually scream my head off until someone removes them :D

5. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

Just to let you know that daddy long-legs are insects, not spiders. Insects have six legs. Spiders have eight legs. I'm not scared of spiders but appreciate that some people are. One way to tackle arachnophobia (fear of eight-legged creatures) is to start by looking at photos of spiders and then toys of spiders, whilst doing deep-breathing and feeling calm. You then take the next step of looking at at a living spider from a distance you feel comfortable with. Then gradually move closer. A British spider is no threat to you.

6. mikemike11818

mikemike11818 PetForums Newbie

spiders are worse i think then tarantulas!.....tarantulas have outstanding colours, not as fast as some of the spider you see scatter around in your house(well tarantulas aren't scatty unless you agrivate them.....or you might get urticating hairs or have a bite!).........some spiders are deadly, such as black widow and huntsman spiders, BUT when it comes to tarantulas, they are NOT fatal UNLESS ALLERGIC TO THERE VENOM (EXTREMELY RARE).........so first try and hold a tarantula

7. zeon85

zeon85 PetForums Junior

I have a phobia of spiders as well used to be all spiders but i found that if i FORCED myself to let one run over me it wouldnt be that bad.. All the phobia of spiders is is your brain cannot work out how a spider can have eight legs and move the way the spider does.. My advice is start with small money spiders and let them crawl over ya hand just take deep breaths and relax... It does get easier in time.. Daddy long legs can be just as frightening for that very reason.. I overcame my fear by catching one in my hand and cupping the hand of course i went pale afterwards lol... I can now go to the medium spider range.. I cant tolerate big massive spiders

8. danielled

danielled Guest

I used to be scared of spiders too but after I held just a little one in my garden I now love them.

9. Kittie_Hedgewytch

Kittie_Hedgewytch PetForums Newbie

Thats the exact same story as me lol
    My first day at college i held one and was utterly terrified, but felt so much better afterwards. I now own one myself, and love handling them :D

10. Fizzy12

Fizzy12 PetForums Member

I hate spiders, and daddy long legs, and slugs, and snails, and anything creepy crawly, or anything that flies around you like bats, and even butterflies.
    OMG I am such a wimp!

11. JPJP

JPJP PetForums Newbie

I am not too keen on spiders either

Someone recommended that I get a Spider Catcher from Bug Buster. I did and I can tell you that its a wonderful thing to have to hand. I thought it would be a bit of a gimmick, but it really does work and just sucks spiders up into the tube.

Even though I don't really like them, I wouldn't want to kill one so, when I catch one, I just tip it out the window.

Get one!

12. dumbo rat

dumbo rat PetForums Newbie

I dont like spiders either! I so wish i wasnt scared of them as i dont mind any other insects, but spiders URGH! :eek: The funny thing is i would maybe hold a tarantula, but im terrified of house spiders!

13. Ameliexx

Ameliexx PetForums Member

me too except for the butterflies.I don't mind them.

14. pudderz2011

pudderz2011 PetForums Newbie

Try going to your local spider group and see them first in the tanks when you get better at that try to be in the same room when one is out on someone else. over the time you will be better around them i got my best mate over his fear and in the end he started to collect them he self.:D:D

15. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

my little sister was highly scared of spiders and used to have a complete panic if she even sow a mimi spider but one day a friend of ours had a spider as a pet and showed her that what she had built up in her head it be harmful and scary was not he said they where just like her pet hamster and now when she sees them shes not as scared hope it helps

16. spunkyduckling

spunkyduckling PetForums Newbie

Ew..what a creepy topic. I am afraid of have arachnophobia for spiders mostly. They are so fierce looking and even the smallest of them bite

17. sainjohn

sainjohn PetForums Newbie

HI,

While adults with spider phobia realize that these fears are irrational, they often find that facing, or even thinking about facing, the feared situation brings on a panic attack or severe anxiety.

Thank you..

18. rob158

rob158 PetForums VIP

hi, my mum has a phobia of spiders and her phobia me have a phobia until i said to my self this is stupid i never had a fear of spiders before, after that i was not as scared of them, what also helped was altho i was scared of spiders i was not of tarantulas and i thout that if i could stand tarantulas i could stand other spiders, i dont know if this will help as my phobia was just in my head and wasint real.

i now love spiders
    Robert,:thumbup:

19. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

thats funny cause i can be near a trantula but not house spiders them horrible things that run dead quick! i have a real phobia but i don't mind my trantula, my boyfriend holds her i held her once but was shaking way to much i was scaring her! hoping as time goes on i can hold her again and get over this

20. Diction

Diction PetForums Junior

I am fine with tarantulas, I am not good with small garden spiders or house spiders. I was pinced as a child by one and I had a bad reaction so as long as they are the size of my palm of bigger it's all good! hahah!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice