Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

spider feeding

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by jasmine red, Nov 17, 2011.

1. jasmine red

jasmine red PetForums Newbie

hi, i have just got a 3 year old red knee and she is lovely, but all she does is eat, the day i got her she had 5 small locusts, and again 5days later she has just eaten 2 big locusts. is this normal?
    thanks

2. Jamie

Jamie PetForums VIP

This isn't normal for a Red Knee (Brachypelma smithi), they are a slow growing species and therefore can go long periods without eating. They will only eat if they are hungry though, so I wouldn't worry ;)

3. jasmine red

jasmine red PetForums Newbie

hi, thanks,
    so i cant over feed her? also when i first got her, she let me hold her and she would crawl over me, now as soon as i open her tank she runs from me and flicks her hairs, i cant get near her, i have left her alone and just change her water bowl daliy. thanks for you help x

4. genevralaurene

genevralaurene PetForums Newbie

Hi, it is possible to overfeed a tarantula but if this happens it is clearly visible. The abdomen will swell recognisably and you can usually make a judgement for yourself if it looks too big or uncomfortable.

With out Mexican Red she seems to go through phases where she will get quite angry an flick hair but it usually passes quick enough so i wouldn't worry.

5. Flamingoes

Flamingoes PetForums VIP

I thought you couldn't over feed them as they're prey drive is so uncultivated?

Sorry if I'm wrong :eek:

I thought they would only attack if they were hungry?

6. genevralaurene

genevralaurene PetForums Newbie

Yeah it is possible but very rare and usually a sign that something else is going on but most people never experience this problem. Unlike cats and dogs they have a natural instinct to know when they are full and will just stop eating. For some t's they will just carry on eating possibly because of underlying issues or they're just a little different but as i said this is quite an uncommon thing. The one thing you do have to be careful about in these circumstances is that overfeeding can lead to moulting issues as they outgrow their shell to fast and can potentially become stuck in their own body. I wouldn't worry about this being the case with yours though.

You say she had 5 small locusts on the first day, this doesn't sound too unreasonable. Ours usually eats 2-3 big locusts a week and a friend of mine feeds his Salmon Pink around 4 per week and is fine with that so i really wouldn't worry. Remember in the wild tarantulas are opportunists and will take whatever prey they can get as they don't know when their next meal is. She sounds fine to me just gotta wait out the moody phase. She's possibly just going through a readjustment phase with new surroundings and needs to settle more. Its usually advised to leave them a few days when you first get them to let them settle and slowly introduce yourself to them so they're more at ease.She sounds perfectly normal and healthy to me :)

7. Christian32

Christian32 PetForums Newbie

I have seen first time in my life that dog eats spiders and other insects... Feeding a tarantula will cause any serious damage to your dog because it is such a big spider and may be it is not so easy to eat whole...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice