Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spider bites

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Wim, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Wim

Wim PetForums Junior

All spiders are venomous, their venom being injected via a pair of horny fangs.

Fortunately, of the approx. 30,000 different varieties, only a few are dangerous to man.

2. jen1302

jen1302 PetForums Junior

Most spiders prefer not to bite example some tarantulas prefer to flick hairs instead the hairs are itchy as hell and can hurt iv'e been fortunate not to be flicked by my docile ones or as yet not been bitten my my docile/aggressive species.

The hairs off a tarantula are surposed to be like glass.

Spiders bites are alot like a Bee sting but high majority of people are allergic to a spider bite as a sting from a Bee ect which requires medical attention.

What a Tarantula Bite Looks and Feels Like
    If a person gets bitten by a tarantula, the bite will probably feel like a bee sting, with pain in the area of the bite. It will look like a bee sting, too, with redness and some swelling. Because the tarantula's venom (poison) is weak, it's unusual to have more severe reactions involving other parts of the body.

What You Should Do
    If you have been bitten by a tarantula, wash the bite with soap and water. If the bite hurts a lot, you can use pain medication. And placing an ice pack on the bit also will help.

What a Doctor Will Do
    Allergic reactions to a tarantula's bite are unusual. But just like some people have allergic reactions to bee stings (like trouble breathing or feeling sick), some people may have allergic reactions to tarantula bites. If a doctor suspects that someone is allergic to a tarantula bite, he or she will treat the person with medicine to fight this reaction.

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

now thats going to get all the women going:eek:

4. reptilicious

reptilicious PetForums Junior

they scare the hell out of me lol

5. clare7577

clare7577 Guest

Thanks for those pearls of wisdom......:eek:

6. mrsdusty

mrsdusty Guest

Anyone got any ghost stories? Just so I can really freak out? LOL

7. Beardy

Beardy PetForums Member

A common house spider bit my husband about 5yrs ago. Prior to this I was always petrified of them, now I am bloody petrified...........It was a big one, it ran across the carpet & he picked it up. He dropped it quick & swore, he showed me the 2 marks on his hand. He never picks them up now.:mad:

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

i hate spiders! if i see one its got to go:eek: i cant stand the things...and people that say," but spiders kill flies".hello i use a fly spray:D

9. Kay73

Kay73 PetForums VIP

My daughter got bitten by a spider in MFI, her at the time teacher didn't believe me, she said spiders don't bite!
    Boy would i like to see her read this thread!!!!!:rolleyes:

10. jen1302

jen1302 PetForums Junior

With spiders be it house/garden or tarantulas some do fang wealding or threat pose with legs other's hair flicking which is a warning as if to say come anywhere near me and i will have you, which is when you back away.

Iv'e just bought a chili pink burst (paraphysa scrofa) 7-8cm usually known to be calm/docile not mine as when placed in her/him home the threat pose but i still love it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice