Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

sphynx

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by 5 dogs, Apr 7, 2011.

1. 5 dogs

5 dogs PetForums Newbie

ive wanted a sphynx for years, i have hairless cresties and skinny pigs...love anything bald! i already have a indoor neutered bengal male who is nearly 1 and my 1st ever cat so im still learning.......

i no sphynx have heart problems and only to buy from a breeder who does health tests etc but is there anything else i need to know???

would another male be better or a female? either way it will be fixed.

thanks in advance for any advice.

2. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

I don't know anyone on here who has a Sphynx cat and I have certainly never come across a breeder of them on here. I have only ever seen a couple at cat shows so I guess they are not that common a breed here in the UK.

Have you tried searching for Sphynx breed clubs? They would probably be best placed to help you.

3. stoneandglass

stoneandglass PetForums Junior

I'm hoping to get one in the next year or so, I've been trying to read up about them but there seems to be a real lack of information.

Are you aware that they need to be bathed? Due to their lack of fur, grease builds up so you will have to wash it, clear it's ears, eyes, paws, nail beds etc.

Also, you have to make sure the house is warm enough for them. If you need a jumper on, chances are it's time to bring out the heating pad for the cat! This cat MUST be an indoor cat.

4. Ren

Ren PetForums Senior

I adore Sphynx, I'd love to have one but the OH hates them :rolleyes: Maybe we'll compromise and get a Devon Rex.

5. happypurr

happypurr PetForums Newbie

I have just reread your post and see you have chinese crested,you are so lucky,they are on my wishlist too.I think it must be the nudey gene i like!;)

6. SphynxCatBlog

SphynxCatBlog PetForums Newbie

Well as I am the owner of the Sphynx Cat Blog and the author of the Sphynx cat book Sphynx Cats: What Every (potential) Owner Should Know I think I can answer your questions if you have any.

There's a Sphynx cat breeders directory that can help with local breeders in the UK (or globally).

they are a wonderful breed and quite friendly and mischievous. They do need work, but not that much, just different from a long haired pet.
    :smile:

7. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Yay Sphynx cats :D Love em, their my dream cat :001_wub:

Ive searched a few ads and saw some for sale and even tried contacting a breeder but never heard anything Ive got no luck when it comes to breeders.

I want a calico.

8. Brittanya

Brittanya PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    I am the proud owner of a Sphynx Kitten and can thoroughly recommend his breeder who thoroughly tests her Sphynx and is incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. It took me years to find a breeder I was happy with and cannot recommend her highly enough - Misfit Sphynx.

I had three dogs (Standard Poodle, Toy Poodle and Chihuahua - all neutered) and a four year old neutered male Tonkinese cat when I brought my Perry home and after a couple of days they all settled in together wonderfully. It's actually been easier and more wonderful than I could have hoped :)

I was advised that a neutered male kitten would be more easily integrated into an existing family and it certainly has been great so, if that's any help to you, it's what I would continue to advise.

These are my two boys together just a week after Perry's arrival
    [​IMG]

and my whole family together :)
    [​IMG]

9. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

That's quite some family you have! I bet he loves your Poodle in the winter for keeping warm against! :D

10. Brittanya

Brittanya PetForums Newbie

He's only been with me a month and my St Poo still gets rather too excited by him for them to snuggle up together just yet lol

11. kelly-joy

kelly-joy PetForums VIP

12. momo

momo PetForums Newbie

My partner and I have met a few sphynx at shows and they seem charming and beautiful. The peachy texture of their skin is distinctive and memorable!

Some say their paws have a cheesy whiff :) Something to keep in mind, the high price tag of the breed has unfortunately attracted some unscrupulous breeders, so it would be good to exercise caution when shortlisting breeders. There are some fab ones about; be prepared to pay a premium (if it makes you feel any better, remind yourself that they are probably only breaking even with their asking price) and to WAIT! That's the hardest part.

Good luck in your search. If you wish to have some breeders recommended, send me a PM. I met a few at the GCCF Supreme shows, and have had extended dialogue over phone and email, so believe them to be good breeders.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice