Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sphynx possibly pregnant

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Gina_78, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Gina_78

Gina_78 PetForums Newbie

Hi there
    I haven't posted in a VERY long time, so I hope it's ok if I just jump right in
    Anyhoo, I have two 1 and a half year old Sphynx cats, neither are fixed as they are 100% indoor cats and our vet told us it wasn't absolutely necessary. Having lost a pet in surgery 6 months ago, I couldn't bring my self to fix them *yet, and that brings me to the subject of this post.
    On the 19th of July, my girl went into heat, and it lasted for about 5 days as usual. We didn't think anything would happen, as she's been going into heat every month since she was 4 months old, and my boy doesn't really take much notice of her. Well, I noticed that her nipples are super plump and pink, she's deffinately wider (but not huge), so naturally I suspect she's pregnant.
    Everything I have read and seen (videos) says she's pregnant, but I still haven't felt any movement. Should I be able to at this point? I have a vet appointment for Wednesday, so we'll see what he says, but just wanted some insight before then :)
    IMG-20190906-WA0006.jpg

2. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

I can't comment on the possibility of pregnancy but please take your cat to a different vet.

Why a vet would say there's no need to neuter indoor cats (especially when you have one of each sex is beyond me). I really hope your cats aren't closely related as I think if your cat is pregnant she will be too far into the pregnancy to be spayed.

You can get your boy neutered now though, but do be aware he can be fertile up to 6 weeks after his op.

chillminx, AmsMam, delca1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

Your vet is wrong. Leaving cats unspayed is not ideal, each time your girl calls she is at risk of pyo, breast cancer amongst others, you are lucky your Male doesn’t spray..please get them both fixed now, even during pregnancy your girl can be neutered. It baffles me how many vets seem to tell people indoor cats don’t need spaying :rolleyes:

chillminx and Rufus15 like this.
  4. Raggie08

Your poor girl would have had over 9 calls :( truthfully if your vet told you she doesn’t need neutering then I’d be finding another vet who knows his job. Please remember males can remain fertile for several weeks after neutering.

chillminx, Rufus15 and spotty cats like this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

It’s up to 10 weeks.

I hope you’ve HCM scanned them both with it being a huge issue in the breed.
    Surely there would also have been a contract from the breeder to neuter them, you’re best to tell the breeder so they can guide you further if spaying now isn’t an option.

keeping entire cats together is very irresponsible when you’re supposedly not wanting them to mate, you have no idea when the boy will figure out what to do and they usually know the girl will call before she actually does.

6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Your vet should be reported to whoever is the regulator for veterinary surgeons where you live.

chillminx, lorilu and Rufus15 like this.
  7. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

I can't add much more to this, the vet needs to be held to account. Equally, you should have done more research too.

lorilu and spotty cats like this.
  8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I also am shocked and gobsmacked at your vets advice. I expect she is pregnant, I wouldn't pay for the vet to check, instead I'd get the boy castrated ASAP. She will be due on or about the 18th September, you need to be around all week. Movement can be subtle. Icatcare has an excellent page on kittening, suggest you get reading :

https://icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens

(correct URL there now!)

And she can get pregnant again very soon after delivery. Hopefully you will keep the kittens until they are 13 or more weeks old, vaccinated, wormed & neutered. She should also be spayed as soon as a vet will. Personally I'd run like mad from a vet with such unfortunate views.

#8 OrientalSlave, Sep 9, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  9. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Not necessary to spay/neuter when a male and female are kept together?

Someone needs a chat about the birds and the bees....

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I've seen that claim here quite a few times. I doubt any vet ever said that. Just an excuse to have an "unplanned pregnancy" and not take responsibility for it.

11. Raggie08

I don’t think they do either to be honest, no vet would be that stupid..

chillminx likes this.
  12. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

The lost cat during surgery was 6 months ago. The cats in question are 18 months. Plenty of time to have them neutered, I feel like the vet is an excuse for laziness

13. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

Many OLDSTYLE vets still advocate one litter before spaying, to give a more stable bitch
    I've also heard said that litter mates or boy/girls kept together won't mate, due to
    ' nature not allowing them to inbreed'
    They're the same type of vets who won't spey before a first 'call' or a males start spraying

Thankfully these old boys (as they generally are male) are a fast dying breed

14. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

All I can say is any vet with those views should be retired ASAP.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice