Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sperm Count

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by chrissybill, Nov 18, 2012.

1. chrissybill

chrissybill PetForums Newbie

Hi there to anyone who can help. I have a stud dog, who is 5 years old, will there come a time when his sperm count falls to a point where he will not produce any more.

Thank you to anyone that can help

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

You would be better off asking how long is a piece of string.

Sorry :eek: I appreciate that's probably not the type of helpful or constructive response you wanted - but the reality is - no-one can answer that question.

I've known of stud dogs mating and producing quality pups and good litter sizes well into double figures - the sire of my first litter (who was a veteran when I used him) retired at 12 on a litter of 12.

But I know for a fact there is evidence of stud dogs still reproducing at 14 +.

In a nutshell, I suspect you will know if / when things aren't going too well if he misses on more than a few bitches - other than that - it's when you feel he is past his physical prime to be able to "do the business" any more.

3. chrissybill

chrissybill PetForums Newbie

Hi there, no that fine thank you for replying, he's producing well at the moment but I suppose he's still quite young, given that it's known they can produce in double figures of age :smile5:.

Many thanks
    Christine

4. blakesmum

blakesmum PetForums Junior

hi, he is still quite young. i have a 7 y o stud dog who is still producing large litters. i plan to keep him at stud til he is 8/9 if all goes according to plan :) you can have your dog's sperm counted by certain vets from what i understand. but as swarthy says, you will know if he starts to fail

5. Lab-lover

Lab-lover PetForums Junior

Occasionally, a stud dog can lose his fertility at 5 years, but I don't think it's that common. Usually, the owner retires the dog for other reasons.

6. flosskins

flosskins PetForums Senior

I think it's very unlikely he would lose his fertility as male's sperm count doesn't drop as they age, however their testosterone and therefore their 'drive' may drop and they won't be as keen to cover as when they are younger.

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If you are concerned, and I say this not just to respond to your thread but for anyone else reading, I'm sure if you got in touch with the companies that offer sperm storage they would be able to help you find out whether your dog is producing healthy, viable sperm.

8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is very common to do sperm counts on bulls and stallions so I assume you can on dogs as well. (it is done for humans too!)

Older bulls and stallions will sometimes become less fertile, maybe leaving less in their herd pregnant so I would have thought the same would happen with a dog.

9. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Not in any of the old dogs I've known who've sired litters - in fact, some seem to have become better producers as they've hit veteran and beyond ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice