Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Teresa, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Teresa

Teresa PetForums Newbie

I would love some advise about the best time to spay a new bitch if you do not want her to have puppies.
    We have 2 cockers, both were spayed at about 6m old. We have spoke to a breeder/retired judge at the weekend who was horrified at this. We had taken our vets advice which was to have them spayed before their 1st season.
    We had springers in the past and we spayed them after their 1st season.
    I woulod love to hear any comments on this subject
    x

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

REALLY ITS YOUR CHOICE
    some people like to have pups, some like them to have a first season and some to get them spayed before the first season.
    if you dont want to breed them then spay them, pups are very hard work and timely.
    and no it doesnt matter if they have had a season or not they still grown up the same its just the vets say oh its better if they hae a season and then some say its better if they dont.
    i looked after dogs done both ways, before and after and they all behave in the same manner.

3. Leanne1989

Leanne1989 PetForums Junior

I thiunk spaying is quite a major surgery and so personaly would wait untill she has had her fist season...this is only me tho and its completly up to you! xx

4. Teresa

Teresa PetForums Newbie

Thanks Carol,
    I was left, at the weekend, thinking that my dogs would have "stunted growth" as they would "stop growing once spayed!".

Teresa x

5. PetsPantry

PetsPantry PetForums Junior

Hi

Obviously at the end of the day when you have it done is your choice.

However in my opinion the best time is half way between the first and second season, as this avoid the possible complications that can occur if done before the first season.

I have just done a quick search on the net, and found this article which may be of some use : spaying your dog.htm

I hope this is of some help, but is only my personal opinion, and you should consult your vet before you make and decision based on this information.

Many Thanks

Pets Pantry

6. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

i have been told the best time to spay your dog is 3 month after their season,
    i myself have let one of my females have a season and i got her spayed bang on 3 month after it and i will do that with the others for sure.

to tell the truth i would never get any bitch of mine spayed be4 having a season, i would let them have 1 season at least.

i donno about it stunting their groth but i do know it don't stunt them width ways lol, my female ended up gaining weight and to tell the truth, she looks well better for it, nice and chunky :D

7. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Vets oppinions may vary, i've always thought it best to let her have the first season.

8. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

We got our Lurcher cross spayed a few months after her first season as she went to live with my parents and they couldn't cope with the mess. She was fine afterwards and is now a bouncing 3 year old.

9. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i think it depends on the vets and the breed of dog, different vets have different advice,

10. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Hi all , no expert and I too am in the same situation with an 11 month old lab she still has,nt had her first season but we were told by our vets to leave it till after as it allows them to mature hormonally, I suppose so they become well rounded and grown up emotionally . I have also heard some vets being of the opinion that it can prevent ovarian cancer if its done before the first season , but i guess if that was the case all bithches wuld be done before there first season . I am personally going to leave it till after . best wishes Andrea.

11. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

I always advise to spay 3 months after first season. The reasoning for this is that spaying before CAN result sometimes in incontinence problems. NOT always. Different vets do advise different things though.

12. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

If you have a really good vet whom you trust, you should listen to their advice. Both of my vets have stated that a bitch does not need a first season before being spayed.

If you cannot trust a vet, who can you trust, but that's another question!

13. carol

carol PetForums VIP

no they dont stop growing she should still get to right size
    none of my friends dog have got big and they had them done before their first season

14. suespoon

suespoon PetForums Junior

I'm confused too! There is so much conflicting advice - even from vets -as to the best time to spay. My goldendoodle is coming up to 6 months and I do not want to breed her, even if she is gorgeous! After reading copious amounts on the web and talking to vets, I have decided to wait until two months after her first season (not looking forward to that bit - male dogs seem to love her already!!) or 10-11 months, whichever comes first. As quite a big dog, she may not come into season for a while yet. What do I know really?!:confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice