Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying????

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by snoopydo, Apr 27, 2011.

1. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

I've had Sasha for nearly 2 Weeks 3 Days after I got her she came into Season..The Vet Reckons to wait 3 months to get her Spayed..So that'll be July.. I'm so worried about her going for a op...Gosh I Work with Dogs know what it's all about etc....Anyone ever had any bad experiences with a Spaying op? I know some Gain lots of weight afterwards but it don't change their Temprement or nice nature doe's it?

The Right thing to do of course..I hate for any Dogs to get to her and her to end up in pup.

I Think it's becouse she's my baby that I Worry :)

I've not owned a Bitch for at least 15 years ..... Just Dogs so A long time since I did this :)

#1 snoopydo, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My Lilly recoverd quickly, doesn't put on weight other than the fact she's a greedy little girl so I measure her food carefully. I didn't notice any changes in her temperment.

Like you I was so worried before she went in and the day of her Op - but she's been fine :)

3. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

Thank you....I just worry about Everything :eek: I'm sure I'll have tears when I leave her :( What am I like it's not till July :eek:

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

It is normal to be worried... but if its any consolation my Bella was done over a year ago, recovered very quickly, and hasnt put on any weight as a result!

5. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Weight gain is a myth hun. same as in humans after hystorectomy there is no research to state with a balanced diet and normal exercise etc.

Neither of my dogs changed temperment or gained weight after spaying we had no issues either.

Same goes for my dad's bitches.

Same goes for me after i was spayed too! ;)

XX I am sure she will be fine just do as the vet says!

6. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Millie was spayed 5 weeks ago (i think!) I was absolutely petrified.

We took it really easy for 3.5 weeks.

She suffered from some bleeding from her lady bits from 2 weeks afterwards until a week ago. We had tests done at the vet's etc and it was prove dnot to be an infection. The vet believed it was hormonal and we were told to wait and see what happened. Well today I cancelled our check up for the end of the week. She is perfectly fine and hasnt had one bit of bleeding for over the last week :D

I was really worried when I initialy realised something wasnt quite right, especially when the vet wasnt sure what was going on. BUT in general she recovered really quickly after the intial 4 days. She hasnt put on any weight as yet (We cut down her food by 20%) but we are keeping a close eye on it. We havnt put her on any 'special' diet for being spayed (The vets tried to sell it to me), just cut down slightly as the Vet said the main reason dogs put weight on aer a spay is that owners then put puppies on an adult food and decrease exercise.

Good Luck, everything will be fine :)

7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

the 3 bitches ive had spayed all recoved really well from the op, they didnt gain weight and their temperaments were just the same:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice