Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by lilherbz, May 14, 2010.

1. lilherbz

lilherbz PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum and am looking for some advice. My bengal girl Keeta will be booked in soon to be spayed and was wondering about the procedures. I know the usual procedure is the flank spay with the side incision, but was wondering if anyone has opted for the abdominal spay instead? I have heard the abdominal procedure does not cause the stomach muscles to be all droopy/saggy. But i could be wrong, if anyone could help me i will be forever grateful.

xxx

2. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Since we've been breeding Bengals we always instruct the vet to do the midline (underneath) operation as it looks much better. I'm not sure of the long term benefits as most of ours are still fairly young.

3. lilherbz

lilherbz PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply, Im not sure what would be best. I favoured the idea of the abdominal spay, but have been advise that the flank is safer and recovery is quicker. She is 2 years old and she is not being shown or anything but she is beautiful and dont want to spoil her. Maybe i am just being vain :(

4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Tiggr was done with the abdominal spay but i think that was due to her having pyo and needing it out asap. To be fair it seems to have healed really well. More difficult to keep an eye on how its healing though as Tiggr tended to hide it from us lol.

5. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

All I can say is that we've had three Bengal girls done this way and have had no problems with healing, I can only think that it's a little more difficult for the vet which is why they seem to prefer the side incision?

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

my vet charges £85 for midline and £70 for flank. For ragdolls we do flank, it seems to heal easier as it's underneath.

7. serpentseye

serpentseye PetForums Member

my poor cat didn't do well aftr spaying. before it she was a normal, lovely little kitten.
    after she was afraid of everyone, never comes into the house anymore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice