Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying, when?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dandogman, Oct 21, 2012.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I know I said I don't want Pippa spayed, but have sort of changed my mind...

It can't be very nice for her, she can't go out for walks, and is probably in pain.

I am obviously going to research it loads before I make any decision.

What age is best? I obviously want her to mature first? Am I right it saying after the 2nd season? :)

Thanks.

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Personally I always have it done at around a year after the 2nd season, although with Nanuq I was lucky as she had her first at 9mths so by the time I waited for the end of di-estrus and hormone levels to return to normal about 12/13 weeks after she was just turned a year anyway. She also got an infection just before the first season as well, that ABs cleared up Ok and the season itself was normal but that was another reason I got it done then too. My Vet had always done it after a season anyway, but a lot of vets now do reccomend that it should be done before a first season, although personally I never have.

3. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I had Lucky spayed about 3 months after her 1st season. She was about 1 year old when she was done.

4. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I am going to do some further research tonight :)

5. terencesmum

terencesmum PetForums VIP

What makes you think she's in pain? :confused:

6. Izzysmummy

Izzysmummy PetForums VIP

If you dont intend to breed then the benefits for spaying a bitch in my opinion far outway the risks. If you spay Pippa she will never ever get pyometra which can be deadly if not caught soon enough, she will never accidentally get pregnant, suffer a phantom pregnancy, the risks of mammary cancer are reduced and she won't need to have her movements restricted for 3 weeks every 6 months.

We chose to get Izzy spayed 3 months after her first season, she was really affected by her hormones and was incredibly anxious, then two weeks before she was booked in to be spayed she had a phantom pregnancy which again sent her hormones haywire and we had to wait for that to run its course before she could be spayed so it ended up being 4 months after her season. If I could do it again I would have had her spayed at 6 months so she would have never had to go through a season.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice