UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I said I don't want Pippa spayed, but have sort of changed my mind...

It can't be very nice for her, she can't go out for walks, and is probably in pain.

I am obviously going to research it loads before I make any decision.

What age is best? I obviously want her to mature first? Am I right it saying after the 2nd season? :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Personally I always have it done at around a year after the 2nd season, although with Nanuq I was lucky as she had her first at 9mths so by the time I waited for the end of di-estrus and hormone levels to return to normal about 12/13 weeks after she was just turned a year anyway. She also got an infection just before the first season as well, that ABs cleared up Ok and the season itself was normal but that was another reason I got it done then too. My Vet had always done it after a season anyway, but a lot of vets now do reccomend that it should be done before a first season, although personally I never have.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you dont intend to breed then the benefits for spaying a bitch in my opinion far outway the risks. If you spay Pippa she will never ever get pyometra which can be deadly if not caught soon enough, she will never accidentally get pregnant, suffer a phantom pregnancy, the risks of mammary cancer are reduced and she won't need to have her movements restricted for 3 weeks every 6 months.

We chose to get Izzy spayed 3 months after her first season, she was really affected by her hormones and was incredibly anxious, then two weeks before she was booked in to be spayed she had a phantom pregnancy which again sent her hormones haywire and we had to wait for that to run its course before she could be spayed so it ended up being 4 months after her season. If I could do it again I would have had her spayed at 6 months so she would have never had to go through a season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.