Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying my young bitch

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucysmum, Aug 8, 2009.

1. lucysmum

lucysmum PetForums Member

Lucy my cocker is now almost 6 months old. She hasnt had a season yet, but im wondering when i can reasonably have her spayed. Ideally i dont want her to have a season at all, and my Vet says this will be ok. So any suggestions please?

2. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

They say after her first season, but we had Amber done at 6 1/2 months as the vet recommended, she 11 now and we have not had any problems with her.

3. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

I would get her done now before she has a season, we had our Yorkie done at 6 months no problems.

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Some bitches dont have any problems personally i wouldnt risk it, i know someone who has her's spayed before first season and its effected her coat she is very nervous and its as if she's missed a stage in her life, i dont really know how else to explain it, on the other hand who knows that she woiuldnt have been like this anyway, i dont know, there must be something in waiting for first season because most people i have spoke to about my female also vets have all said it important to wait.

5. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

It has not affected my Yorkie having her spayed she has a beautiful shiny coat. My vet also agreed it is better to have them done before a season.

6. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Yes i think you need to be guided by your own vet and then decide, my male dogs were neutered and lots of dog owners argue the point that if its not nessesary not to do it but i wouldnt have a male dog intact..

7. lucysmum

lucysmum PetForums Member

I will talk to my Vet again, he said wait until about 9 months, she may have a season anytime between now and then though. But if its better to let them have one season, ill do it, but if theres no risk or complications, ill have her done before we have the pleasure of a season !!

How are they atferwards please? EG soreness, and putting on weight? Does it calm them down a bit? Lucys a nutter !!

8. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We have a four month old puppy and I asked our vet about spaying a few weeks ago and she recommended before her first season at 6 months. She said it decreases the chance of mammary cancer by 50% if you have them spayed before their first season. She said she wouldn't recommend long skinny dogs to be done before their first season though due to the risk of spay incontinence.

I'm still undecided though.:rolleyes:

9. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

My vets wont do until 3 months after their first season

esp in springers as theres a lot of reports that they put on weight and find it hard to loose (thats what they told me anyway)

10. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

TBH i think they should have their first season before you get them spayed,
    they need to mature first,
    if you have then done before they have a season how do you know they are fully mature,
    and at 6 months i still think they are still babies, (you work it out in human years),

again just what i think, x

11. Theres pro's and con's of spaying early. My vet recommended we spay holly at 18 months to two years when fully mature as shes a large breed dog it could affect her development and cause problems with coat, urinary tract, growth and behaviour. i dont know the pros other than avoiding an unwanted litter and going through a season but my vet said spaying to early there were more risks than to let her fully mature first. but at the end of the day its your dog and your choice

12. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

Here in Australia most Vets push for early spaying. I always let my girls have a season first. On Australian forums I have been condemned as irresponsible for not spaying before a season. It's lovely to come to a forum where most people think as I do. Thank you for that.:)

I have read that spaying before a season prevents certain breeds from growing the correct adult coat. The breeds mentioned in the article included Cockers, Afghans and Irish Setters. I don't know if this is true and would be interested in the opinion of owners of these breeds.

Most dogs in Australia seem to suffer few side effects from early spaying but for myself I like mine to mature naturally first. Going through a season is really no big deal and it just seems to give a dog that little extra something that comes with maturity.

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My auntie has a cocker who she had spayed before 6 months. Her coat did change, it became thicker in a way and much rougher.

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am another that prefers the bitch to have one season. It really isnt too much bother to go through that first season and then you have a more mature bitch who is not going to have coat problems, less likely to become incontinent and have a more mature vulva which has to be more comfortable as the dog grows. I thought it was very rare for spayed bitches to get mammary tumours so cutting it down by 50percent doesnt really mean that much.
    My pup will certainly be waiting till after her first season.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice