Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying my Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by debs2104, Jun 22, 2010.

1. debs2104

debs2104 PetForums Junior

Hi. I have adopted Jasmin nearly three weeks ago now, and she was only just taken away from her 7 week old kittens, so it was very much of an upheaval for her. (She is quite underweight at the moment) I need to get her spayed as soon as possible, but she is still so very very nervous of us and only comes out from underneath the sofa for a little while each day. We are being extremely carefull not to leave windows and doors open etc, so she cant get out. I was thinking of leaving the operation for a 3-4 weeks until she is more used to myself and my other half so she doesnt have yet another trauma to go through before being compeltely comfortable with us, each day we do seem to see a tiny tiny bit of improvement, but it is going very very slowly. However I have been told to get her spayed as soon as possible as this will help her also, wot do you guys think.....:)

2. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

I must admit that when we got Dorrie spayed there was a marked difference in her behavior as she wasn't acting with her hormones anymore.

3. pyeuk

pyeuk PetForums Newbie

Have you tried using feliway or kalmaid to help chill her out a little? My cat gets stressed very easily and urinates everywhere! I find the feliway is very good in the diffuser form to help keep him chilled.

4. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

They are good to use as well :thumbup:

5. LisaLQ

LisaLQ PetForums Senior

How refreshing - a member who is going to spay their cat! :thumbup:

6. debs2104

No I've not tried that but it sounds a good idea. Can you get it from any pet shop??

7. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

Feliway is very good as is Zyklene and fab cats have this about stress in cats but it is a very good and informative site.

8. pyeuk

pyeuk PetForums Newbie

You can get feliway from most pet shops/vets. Its not all that cheap but it does last for 4 weeks (I can usually get a bit more time out of it). Kalmaid comes in a pump dispenser that you can put in food or on the cats paw to lick it off. We've only just started to stock it at our vets so I'm not sure if you can get it at pet shops. I've used the dog version for my mental collie and it works a treat. Zylkene is good as well, but not certain if thats available from pet shops. There are loads of different calming products out there but I only ever reccomend the ones I've used!

Hope your little one starts to respond soon. Spaying her, as you already know, is an excellent idea. All of my 13 animals are neutered:lol:

9. debs2104

Hi, Thanks for the info, will get Jasmin something for her for her stress, but just to let you know we have come on leaps and bounds over the last three or four days, still not that happy about us stroking her yet but she lets us on her terms!!! However she does comes out into the lounge in the evenings with us, and she will now come out when I call her for "Din dins". I have therefore booked her in to be spayed in two weeks time, when hopefully she will be even happier living with us. Thanks Again.........

10. Tidgy

Tidgy PetForums Senior

Our old chat charlie was extreamly shy and nervous, took him a couple of months but came right out of himself, after being with us for 12 month it took a nock at the door to even phase him.

Give them time and space, let them come to you, hand feeding work with charlie as well.

11. debs2104

Hi, yes patience seems to be working, Jasmin's getting better and better each day, and its really rewarding that she's starting to relax a bit.....have tried hand feeding - she wont take it from my hand yet, but she will take it if I put it on the floor and leave my hand there..... so maybe with a bit more time....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice