Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying by keyhole

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haeveymolly, May 22, 2010.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Has anyone had their bitch spayed by keyhole surgery, i do know its less invasive and much more expensive just wondered if anyone has any experience of it and if it is that much better for them.

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Im hoping to persuade my vet to do Heidi by keyhole. He does cats that way and Gracie came back with a 2in long scar and was back to normal after a couple of days!
    Thankfully it didnt cost more coz he has been doing it for years.:thumbup:

3. haeveymolly

Ye its something ime going to look into.

4. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

interesting, never heard of it. dunno if they do it here, will ask at the local vets, next time!

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Bah, just phoned my vets and he said no.:(
    He said you have to make several holes to root around and find what you want and he'd rather just make a quick cut and whip everything out!!:D
    NM just means Heidi will be confined to the rabbit cage for a couple of days to stop her bouncing. :rolleyes:

6. Megs Mum

Megs Mum PetForums Junior

My girl Gracie was spayed by keyhole. We thought she had a pyometra but turned out she didnt. Took her in for the op and when she came home i had a look and she had 2 stitches and a tiny wound. amazing how they can do that.
    Didnt cost us any more i think the vet is just very good.

she healed much faster and was in much less pain.

7. haeveymolly

Ive just been talking to a friend of mine about it and she said the only benefit is no seasons there is still the health risks as they dont remove the uterus, obvious really never thought of that, so will be having it done the usual way.

8. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

The health risks associated with an entire bitch are removed (particularly pyometra) in spite of the uterus remaining because the hormones are removed. The other advantage is it has been found to also remove the risk of incontinence associated with spaying. I've not had it done, but have heard good things about it.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

So are you saying only the ovaries are removed. I dont think I would want that. When Candy was spayed the wound was tiny with just 3 stitches and she was completely back to normal by the second day so I would not even see any advantage in the after care.
    Cats need no after care at all and feral ones are just released as soon as they have come round.

10. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

old thread i know .................

my friend has just had her RC bitch done with this method and she said its brilliant, bitch recovers much quicker and skin is glued together rather than stitched. around £100 dearer than normal spay.

11. talassie

talassie PetForums Newbie

My dog had a laparoscopic ovariectomy in 2009. We had to travel to another vet to have it done as there was no-one near who did keyhole speying. So we combined it with a holiday. She was back to normal the next day and fine to go out and play.

Why go for major surgery when you can have just the ovaries removed with the same result? After seeing my last dog in standing around in pain after being speyed I didn't want to go through that again.

If you are considering having it done I would suggest the summer as you need to keep the area with the incision dry for a week or so.

12. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

she's booked in, i can't wait till the summer as she's mid seasons now. i've never had a bitch in pain after spaying mine are usually back to normal after a couple of days wanting to go out with the others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice