Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying before a first season at 6 months

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cuddypuppy, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

I have just taken Nelly the pug puppy to the vets for her 8 week vaccination.

The vet has advised that I get her spayed at 6 months old as the latest research shows that doing this before a first seasons greatly reduces mammary tumors and any other hormonal problems.

I personally would prefer this also and wondered if anyone else has had their pup spayed at 6 months.

2. Many vets say this, BUT itis not somehing that I would do! for a bitch between first and season. For a male NOT before he is fully matured, the larger the breed the later .

Not wanting to go against what you vet says! just what I prefer (as many do) myself! and there are an alarming number of vets that seem to want to spay at a very young age!! thank goodness my vet is not one of these!
    DT

3. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I would always wait, midway between season 1 and 2 is usually best giving the pup a chance to mature a little.

there are varying opinions on it but my view is don't do anything that affects hormones until they are adults. I know none of my litter are being done until after their first season.

you shouldnt get many of the physical issues with a pug though like coats not developing properly so it really is your choice ;)

How is the little puglet doing? Is she a frenzy of energy?

4. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Poor little sod has to keep going out in the rain for her number 1s and 2s, so not surprisingly we had a couple of accidents this morning. She was no trouble having her injection, just sat munching a biscuit. She is have a sleep at the moment, so I am dealing with the children and hamsters and then finally myself. It is like having a new baby. You try to everything when they are asleep.

She had a lovely day yesterday, with lots of 10 year old visitors. She was racing around the lawn and playing with her ball. The kids have all been very kind and gentle.

She has been sleeping well in her crate without getting up at all in the night, so hopefully that will carry on (fingers crossed).

I am grateful that the children are on holiday, because they are a real help with Nelly. They love her to bits, but I think they will be glad when the nipping stage is over.

5. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

ideally a bitch should have 2 seasons before getting her spayed. this extra time then allows her to mature. the majority of vets seem to be in a hurry to get all dog fixed these days, luckly our vet is not one of them, and he know's i will ask if that is an option i want for my dogs. my 2 bitch's are entire, but i did have my border collie done years ago due to her having a Pyemetra.

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

For anything medical I would take the advice of the vet. You will get lots of opinions on here, for me I don't know enough, but I would neuter asap. x

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

My vet basically insists on letting them have at least 1 season first but some vets insist on spaying and neutering so early its horrible.

8. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Mine was done 3month's after her 1st season, And i'll be doing the same with my pup:)

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

A dog should be allowed to mature, and have atleast one season.

Early spaying can lead to some issues to do with growth and behaviour. Spaying too early can result in an incontinent bitch.

By all means make plans to have her spayed, but allow her to become an adult dog first.

10. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

That is good advice

11. rotts05

rotts05 PetForums Member

If you google neutering you will get strong advice both for and against early neutering. There are strong arguments for both, most vets around me are pushing for neutering at 6 months but vets actually aren't always all that 'up' on both sides. Some vets will not neuter before first season.

I have a rottie bitch who is between season 2-3 and is booked in for friday. I am looking forward to no more seasons but I am so glad I have waited.

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

very good advice. I cant believe that there are that many vets that advise early spaying. I just dont know why they would when it is known there is a higher incidence of incontinence in bitches being spayed before their first season and problems with poor coats and under developed vulvas. Plus you wouldnt know if the pup was about to come in season so you could be doing it at a time when there is more risk of bleeding. Have a season and then book her in for 3 months later.

13. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

There are some encouraging it to be done at 8 weeks... even in large/giant breeds where it causes growth plate problems.

14. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

Our vet said to get both Max and Daisie done between 5 and 6 months.

She said that it wouldnt effect them either way (whether we waited for her to come into season) She also said it would be best because if she comes into season we would have to keep them apart which would be hard.

:confused::confused:

15. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

:( i'm horrified to hear this:mad:

16. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Shes correct on the latter part. You WILL have to keep them seperate when your bitch comes into season. Your vet is talking rubbish when she says it wont affect them being done so early.

I honestly wonder where vets get this terrible advise from.

17. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I was too my vet refuses to neuter large/giant dogs before 2 year old but early neutering seems to be the cool thing right now.

18. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think that is awful. But then again the advice used to be to let a bitch have a litter before spaying it so I suppose times change. I do think there is enough evidence that spaying early causes problems though so I would not want to do it. Same with castration, though there are probably less problems, you just end up with a less 'male' dog as it has never developed.

19. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

There's an article in August's Dogs Today magazine, it's by Richard Allport and he quotes an American vet by the name of Chris Zink, in it he is saying that there could be a link between early neutering and crutiate ligament problems.

Terri

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice