UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scout is booked in for spaying next week - at 8 months. I have just been told by a dog trainer that early spaying can increase aggression and excitability in bitches. I have searched this forum and found the research by Canine Sports (?), which seems to support this.

I wondered whether any forum members had experienced an increase in aggression/fear/excitability in their bitches after an early spay, or does this depend hugely on the type of dog and their current character? Scout is a Patterdale.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
I spay all my bitches but ONLY after they have reached physical and mental maturity.

Sex hormones govern more than the ability to procreate.

having attended a full day seminar on neutering and also seminars given by Christine Zink and others my feelings have not changed.

So unless there were overwhelming environmental reasons such as an entire male at home, no enclosed garden I would delay it.

What is the rush?

The protective effects re mammary tumours remain even if you have a bitch spayed at 18+ months.

But every owner must do what they think is best for their individual dog in their individual circumstances

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great, thank you, Smokey Bear. I had certainly been feeling that it was a little early, so am glad that both the research and your opinion support that! I think I will cancel the appointment and leave it for a couple of seasons.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I am no medical expert but can certainly share my experience.

Millie had gone through 2 seasons before she was spayed - Initially I wasnt even sure if I was going to spay - I definately wasnt in a hurry but I wanted her to be fully mature mentally and physically prior to it.

Also even though its a 'routine' operation it is very invasive surgery so was in no rush at all.

I would talk to your vet and ask them about it - raise your concerns and judge their reaction.

When Millie was younger our vet asked about getting her spayed - I explained I was waiting until she was mature and the vet respected that and I was never made to feel under pressure etc

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
I spay all my bitches but ONLY after they have reached physical and mental maturity.

The protective effects re mammary tumours remain even if you have a bitch spayed at 18+ months.

But every owner must do what they think is best for their individual dog in their individual circumstances
Re mammary tumours I understand that spaying later takes away the protection. I think I am right in saying that spaying after the first season reduces the effect by 50 percent and after the second season removes it altogether so there is not gain whatsoever.
Personally I do not really consider mammary tumours as a reason to spay though so it does not come into it for me.

I have always been an advocate of spaying after the first season but so many are being done earlier now with no ill effects. Due to holiday dates I did have my last one spayed at 6 months and I have not regretted it. My other one was done after a season and suffers from urinary incontinence which is easily controlled but was a bit of a nightmare initially. she is a wreck of a dog though with 3 major things wrong with her :D

As for spaying at 8 months - I would be very wary as she would more than likely be coming in season and spaying when the hormones are rampant and the uterus is active is not the best of ideas. I would say 6 months or wait till after the first season.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
There are many, many opinions on this subject and I don't wish to get into a heated debate but I will say that all my bitches have been spayed before their first season over the past 35 years and I have never ended up with an aggressive or incontinent juvenile deliquent.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
My vet routinely neuters dogs and bitches at nine months. I was put under a lot of pressure to have Bess spayed then, and at the puppy party it seemed to be a given that that's what would happen to all the pups.

You need to ask questions and do your own research to make sure it's right for you at all, and when you want to do it.

I can't have Bess spayed as I show her. I didn't have my male dogs neutered as I didn't have any problems with them.

I'm not going to say its right or wrong, just that it should be complelely your decision, and not the latest fad at your vets!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
We had Angel spayed at 6 months, Alfie was 3 years old at the time and entire, we had/have no plans to get Alfie neutered but we knew Angel would definitely be spayed so we discussed with our vet and he was happy to do her before a season. She was pretty much recovered from the operation within a couple of days, had trouble keeping her from running and jumping like a loon and we've not had any ill effects, she's got the same character and temperament as she's always had. It's definitely a personal choice though, my Sister is letting her girls have a season before they are spayed and there is no way I would question her decision to do that, if it's what works for her then that's fine.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I had my bitch spayed at 9 months within days of her arriving with us, we have had no issues yet from it, although she is only 2 1/2 now. This was before her first season.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Perhaps do your own research & decide what you feel is best for your dog. It's difficult to decide when there are pros & cons for both.
I was told I had to get Tilly spayed before her first season & she was from rescue, but I wasn't sure I wanted to that soon. After reading all the fors & againsts I decided to wait & let her have 1 season & then had her spayed a few months after her season ended (although she did have a phantom which was a nightmare!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.