Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaying 3yr old Shih Tzu

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Tiffany Roberts, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Tiffany Roberts

Tiffany Roberts PetForums Newbie

hi everybody,

I suffer badly with anxiety and have driven myself mad with worry the past week by googling spay surgery's for dogs. My girl is 3 and is booked in this Thursday and I am seeing a lot of 50/50 about it. I need reassurance but know that there is always going to be a risk. I just hate the thought of something going wrong!!

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I dont know what you are reading. You have left it quite late , why did you leave it till she is 3. Vets are spaying dozens of bitches every week in every practice, it is a totally routine op with no more risk attached to it than any anaesthetic for any reason. You will get rid of seasons, get rid of the risk of pyometra and of unwanted pregnancy. You have left it too late to be much, if any, help in stopping mammary tumours. There is a little bit of making sure she does not run around too much in the first week and does not lick the stitches excessively but apart from that she will be back to normal in 3 or 4 days and just a bit stiff and sore the first couple of days. Just relax and do the right thing for your girl and make life easier for both of you. Rampant hormones cant be much fun for a bitch.

Sarah H and Tiffany Roberts like this.
  3. Tiffany Roberts

I actually adopted my dog from another family so spaying was out of my hands hence why I am asking for advice as I am now doing what should have been done.

LittleMow, Duggee and Blitz like this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Try not to worry, you're doing the right thing. It's always a bit nerve-wracking when your pet goes in for a General Anaesthetic but as already mentioned it's a procedure vets dog every day, so she will most likely be absolutely fine. She'll probably be groggy and upset the evening you bring her home, but usually they perk up very quickly and you struggle to stop them doing too much as they have no idea they've had surgery! She'll have pain killers and probably a cone to stop her licking her wound (it's important she doesn't bother it).
    It's very unlikely anything will go wrong, so try not to worry! I warn you the day goes very slowly while you wait for the phone call in the afternoon to say they are ready to be picked up, so make sure you have something planned so you can take your mind off it for a bit.

5. Tiffany Roberts

Thank you! This is reassuring. Too easy to overthink and I know deep down everything will go well. I do wish her previous owner had done it whilst she was a puppy but they intended to breed and I didn't want to do that. Thanks again!

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

I had my dachshund spayed at 13 yrs old, she was a rescue who slipped through the net and we were told she had been spayed. Well, she bounced back within a couple of days, no problems at all, we could hardly believe how quickly she recovered.

LittleMow and Duggee like this.
  7. Tiffany Roberts

Aw that is fantastic! And they are such small doggies too! Very reassuring, thank you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice