Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spayed our girl but some issue....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jaisunny, May 26, 2020.

1. jaisunny

jaisunny PetForums Newbie

We've just got our girl spayed today and the vets saisld they could not get the Elizabethan colar on her as she growls, hisses and attacks them. Upon arrivaling home we also couldn't get it on as she wriggles her way out of it. So we went and bought a cat colar to use in conjunction with the plastic cone and same issue. We've gone out again and bought an inflatable collar and used it in conjunction with the new colar and still the same.. She wriggles her way out of it.

Also within 10 mins of arriving back the plaster for the wound has come off and lost its stickiness.

What can we do? Vets are saying the plaster can come off it's fine. But said the Elizabethan colar needs to stay on for 10 days. Not sure what to do?

Also, can we put a human plaster on her wound?

She's 8 months old.

#1 jaisunny, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@jaisunny - none of my kittens ever wore a collar of any kind after they were spayed. They never bothered their wounds, just gave them a good sniff, a hesitant lick and then left the wound alone. There is no way I would expect a kitten to tolerate a cone collar or an inflatable collar for 10 days!

Is she actually bothering with her wound? If not then I see no need for a collar.

Some people use cat surgical recovery suits for kittens after spaying ops. I have never used one on any of mine, but you could try it if she won't leave her wound alone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Recovery-Abdominal-Diseases-Alternative/dp/B07JH7T5W4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3H4DQZSHPN3BH&dchild=1&keywords=cat+surgical+recovery+suit&qid=1590515984&sprefix=surgical+recovery+suit+cats+,aps,211&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWk1JNVJNNVZGMFZYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzMzOTIxM0lWWk5CTFBaRE5SWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTQ1NTU2NjZYMjZEQUZPMFQ5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

O2.0, Lurcherlad and Treaclesmum like this.
  3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Yes, mine hate all types of collars as well and have never kept one on for more than a minute!

I'm sure she will be find without the collar, but some people use a baby gro if necessary, with a hole cut in it for the bum and tail. Those surgical suits look much better though!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

Get a surgical suit - our vets sell them or check eBay or Amazon for post recovery feline surgical suit

This is Porsha wearing her Dog Ease post op surgical suit following her spay

Attached Files:

Treaclesmum likes this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Quite unusual if they've stuck something over the wound. There is no reason for her to wear a collar for 10 days.

We've spayed many girls over the years, never a need for collars or suits.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

Some cats will pull their stitches out.

We ask for dissolvable internal stitching and outer wound glued. much easier for the cat. Recovery rate is 2-3 days. Our vet still insists on A plastic cone for 3 days. Personally think it makes a wee cat miserable hence the post op suit. Ours are quite happy with the suit as are any bitches we get done

Treaclesmum likes this.
  7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

None of the girls I've had neutered have needed collars or body suits

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Some may, never been our experience back in the days of external stitches.

The OP did not say this was an issue, the vet was insisting on a cone for an excessive amount of time for no reason.

chillminx and Rufus15 like this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Although I didn't like to put it like that, it does seem rather that way.

#9 chillminx, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  10. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Member

My two didn't get on with the cones at all, they kept trying to run backwards and it made them so stressed out. I was worried about them hitting the wound on something with all the effort they were putting in to get them off.

We ended up getting them the surgical suits which they didn't enjoy to begin with, but they soon got used to them. We would take them off when they were relaxing with us in the evenings so that they could groom the rest of their body and also have a bit of a breather. Then we put them back on for them to go to bed.

chillminx likes this.
  11. jaisunny

jaisunny PetForums Newbie

Appreciate all the comments. It's been 2 days now and she's actually been OK with no bandage and no Elizabethan colar on. Not really taking much interest in the wound.

The wound looks glued, I could be wrong. Shes still eating and she seems playful as normal, so am I right to assume theres no infection? Some pics attached.

Attached Files:

12. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

What on earth have they done to that leg?

13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

The spay incision looks perfect for 2 days out. Her poor leg though! They razor burned the snot out of it. I wouldn't know brands in the UK, but some sort of soothing cream or ointment wouldn't go amiss. Is she leaving her leg alone?

14. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Looks like bruising rather than dermatitis to me.

MilleD and O2.0 like this.
  15. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

If she is eating and acting fine, then I would say she is fine. Most vets will glue the top layer of skin after using disposable stitches on the internal layers, that's what my cats had done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice