Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spayed cat getting unwanted attention

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Runt of the litter, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Runt of the litter

Runt of the litter PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    Hope someone can help, Google hasn't been forthcoming.
    I have a spayed kitty (done a couple of years ago) who has recently been receiving unwanted attention from a local tom. She's not happy going outside because of this, and Mr Tom is becoming a bit of a menace.
    Any thoughts as to why a spayed kitty would get this attention?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Runt of the litter and welcome :)

When you say "unwanted attention" do you mean the male cat keeps trying to mount her? Or do you mean bothering her generally?

If it is the former, then it could be the male cat (if he is un-neutered) is one who will try his luck with any female he meets up with, whether they are spayed or not. I have known of cases of this.

There is a condition called Ovarian Remnant Syndrome which occurs when all the ovarian tissue has not been removed in surgery. The condition is rare and you would normally expect to see signs of the cat being "in call" e.g. rolling around, being extra affectionate with you, miaowing, raising her bottom higher than her head etc. Does your cat show any unusual behaviour every so often?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1345735/

3. Runt of the litter

Runt of the litter PetForums Newbie

Hi @chillminx
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that toms would still want to have their wicked way with spayed cats (as this is what the problem is).
    The Ovarian Remnant Syndrome thing has already been addressed, so I'll just have to put it down to a horny tom!
    Thanks

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Well some tom cats may certainly try it on with spayed cats if there are no entire females in the neighbourhood. But usually the spayed female is very unwelcoming of the attention and uses claws and teeth to repel the tom cat, which is often enough to put the tom cat off.

If it was me I would locate the tom cat's owner and speak to them tactfully about having the cat neutered. Advise the owner that Cats Protection offers vouchers to pay the vet fee for neutering, to anyone who can't afford to pay (e.g low income, on welfare benefits etc)

https://www.cats.org.uk/what-we-do/neutering

If the owner is unwilling to co-operate by neutering their cat then I doubt the owner would be willing to agree either on a time share arrangement where your cat is outdoors at different times to the owner's cat. This can work well providing both sides co-operate. You could always ask.

The other solution would be to cat proof your garden with special fencing so your cat cannot get out and other cats cannot get it. Some of us on the forum have done this with our gardens to keep our cats safe.

There is a pinned thread on the subject :

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

Are you certain the tom cat has an owner? He could be a stray, in which case you could get the help of Cats Protection or other local Rescue to trap him humanely, neuter him and fidn him a home.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice