Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sparky the Squirrel

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Tonti, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Tonti

Tonti PetForums Junior

OK, I know this isn't a cat story but I just had to share it with you. I put a fat ball out for the birds this morning and ten minutes later I was looking out of the kitchen window when i saw a squirrel who comes into our garden after the peanuts in the bird feeder (I call him/her Sparky) come running across the lawn, grab the fatball and take off with it only to drop it about 10 feet further on. Two minutes later there's a magpie pecking at the fat ball when back comes Sparky and chases the magpie off, grabbed the fatball again and disappeared behind the summer house with it. Another five monutes later Sparky is back chasing all the blackbirds eating the bread I put out and generally acting daft running up and down trees and bouncing about the garden like a rubber ball. And I thought squirrels were supposed to hibernate.

Incidentally, Lucy never goes out and Sweetie, my blind cat, only goes out under supervision so the birds aren't at risk when I feed them. I was having hysterics this morning at the antics.

2. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Apparently grey squirrels don't hibernate. I'm in Sheffield (obviously pretty near you) and we have loads of squirrels in our garden, which also help themselves to the food we put out for the birds. Our cats (also indoor) enjoy watching them through the window.

They can be a bit of a nuisance - they dig up new plants and eat bulbs (especially crocus) just as they are coming up - but they're cute.

3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Treacle loves to watch the squirrels through the window and chatter at them! They're very cute and chubby! But I hope he won't chase them when he starts going out - I bet their teeth are much sharper than his!! :sosp:

4. Tonti

Tonti PetForums Junior

Hi Jansheff, I'm in Doncaster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice