Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spaniel help

Discussion in 'Dog Photo Galleries' started by Eagone, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Eagone

Eagone PetForums Newbie

Hi

We have a 10 week old Springer (male) who's going through the nipping phase, that we are dealing with by following advice from this page (thanks all)

My question to you all, is that every now and again he seems to change attitude, I can be playing or loving him and the next minute he's circling me barking and nipping (with a bit more agression). any idea's what causes this?

I have to remove him from the situation as the kids begin to get worried and place him in his crate, which I know should only be used for positive things not punishment but I have not option.

2. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

I would think its likely to be excitement rather than aggression, It was with my Jack anyway.
    It made it easier with him to focus him on some training it does tire them out and certainly helps at this point when you cant do that by walking him :)

3. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

I think he is trying to get you to play in the same kind of way he would a litter mate, this can sound quite aggressive and be very nippy but is actually all play.

I would try and get him some play dates with other dogs in your home so that you can see the difference between the way they play and what is true aggression, my two get very full on and very noisy, but you know it is play in the way they roll or submiss to one and other and stop if the other wants a break, they even shake off in unison!

He is trying to get you to interact more in the game so the advice to calm and focus him in training will help to tire him out too, and a little bit of gentle tug that you initiate and stop will help him to channel his energy.

Before you know it it will all be a distant memory, my little guy is 8 1/2 months now and I have to think very hard to the times he was nipping and mouthing.

Keep consistent and he will soon learn the rules of the game and house.

Love to see some pics, springers are just magical!

4. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Oooh yes piccies please :D

5. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I'd say the same as the others, and I'd add that Molly was worse if she got overtired so make sure he's getting enough rest, plus give him lots of toys to play and chew with. Also food, if its too high in protein or doesn't suit him it affects behaviour big time.
    And yes pictures please:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice