Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spanials

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Smarty Pants, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

Found this place after searching google for info on working spanials. but now I carn't find the info I was reading. Me da had working dogs all is life and is trying to get me to go for a springer but I want a cocker he sez these are much harder to train then a springer. Can you tell me if this is true and why . know i should listen to him as he is good but just want to do something on me own for once.
    Rubes

#1 Smarty Pants, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
  2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

i wouldnt get a springer or a cocker if i were you, they are lots and lots of trouble :)

3. Smarty Pants

Smarty Pants Guest

Thats what me da says! he says they are impossible to train to the gun and not for a first timer! he would only have springers had ust onea lab - that is why I am smarty pants because that wa the dogs proper name be he called he gyp. he says you need short shapre names .
    rubes

4. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

To be honest I own a springer spaniel and have had no problems :rolleyes:

Can't tell you if cockers are better as i've never owned one and I don't work my dogs either, but yes they both can be high energy and allot of trouble but they are easy to train and it depends on the dog more than the breed.

5. clairescunny55

clairescunny55 PetForums Member

ive never heard of them being referred to as 'trouble'. All i've heard is loving, energetic etc, i also heard they love being trained :confused:

6. kerrybramble

kerrybramble PetForums VIP

we found our cocker LOADS better to train than any of our springers, she is the best gun dog my dad has ever trained and everyone on the shoot wants her! I find springers a lot more hyper active than my cocker, she is a lot better at paying attention than the springers :D

7. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

It depends more on the owner Springerhusky:eek:

8. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

True but I still say also depends on the dog also :p

A working breed dog is likely to have a higher energy than a show or pet.

Springers are only trouble when they are allowed to be trouble.

But I do agree james, as all 3 of my dogs are very laid back and easy to work with (well with Maya it depends on what work is involved but she's not a difficault dog just lazy)

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Working cockers and springers used to be bred together, and judged to be one or the other from weight. There are some cocker lines even now that serious cocker people won't touch with a barge pole, because they can trace it back to springers. Black and white and particularly liver and white cockers are very much frowned upon, as is the breeding of 'Sprockers', after all, it took a long enough time to get the breeds recognised separately.

I'm only just getting used to the timing with training Labradors, I wouldn't have a hope of getting it right with a springer or cocker. Maybe I'll give it a go in a few years time.

10. Birdie Wife

Birdie Wife PetForums Member

I've got a working cocker pup, she is hard work but very sweet natured :) I wouldn't have said she's hard to train. She's very clever, and picks up commands very quickly, but that brain works at mischief too so she needs very clear and consistent boundaries otherwise she will take the michael!!

I found the CockersOnline forum very helpful, they have a section for working activities there: CockersOnline Forum - Index

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive had 3 springers 2 at the moment and they have been no trouble, ive found them very easy to train they have an in built ability to want to learn if they are not trained then i think they could maybe be a lot of trouble, they are energetic but contrary to what people believe they are not over energetic if they are excercised in the right environment. I would recommend a springer to anyone who will walk them twice a day and teach them basic commands they are a wonderful family pet and a great loyal companion for someone alone.

12. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I still would advise you not to get one - you have to be super concentrated in everything you do to them. You have to be aware of evey little thing you do as they are highly intelligent and can quickly go down the wrong path. There are plenty of breeds I think would be more suitable - its just the amount of time time and more time you have to dedicate to them, they never stop learning. They seriously one of those pets that are not just for Christmas, they will take any opportunity to misbehave if you are not on your toes.

How old are you smartypants?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice