Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Spading

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Worrid much, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

What exactly are the benefits of spading? I have absolutely no intention of breeding. She has had her first season and apart from following her around with a mop and her PMS towards other dogs , we coped pretty well. Is this an unnecessary operation ?

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

No, it's not unnecessary. Each time the bitch goes through the hormonal surges, it increases her risk of mammary cancers. Also, a couple of months after a season it's possible (and the likelihood increases with each season) for her to get pyometra, an infection of the uterus that can kill. If you're not planning to breed, get her spayed (not spading). There's also the effect on male dogs in the area to take account of.

ouesi likes this.
  3. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

Thx. I'm just trying to chicken out as at 9 months her operation is imminent. I hadn't considered every thing you just mentioned....... calling vet to book now

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

There are 2 forms of spay - 'conventional' or 'keyhole'. The keyhole is more expensive but the recovery time is a lot quicker and there is clearly less pain. You have to look for a vet who does the keyhole - it needs special equipment and training http://www.veterinarylaparoscopy.com/vets-offering-keyhole-surgery. The keyhole removes the ovaries only through tiny incisions, leaving the uterus. As the ovaries are gone, the hormonal changes that lead to pyometra can't occur. I've had 2 bitches spayed keyhole and I'd never go back to 'conventional'.

5. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

I never knew about keyhole. I will ask at consultation. The less invasive the better. Many thx

6. Worrid much

Worrid much Banned

The one in coalvile is very near me. Do I go through my vet or call direct ?

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Has she had a season yet. I would not get it done at 9 months if she hasn't as there is a very high chance she is about to so her hormones will be all over the place and if she is in season or about to be there is more chance of bleeding. Now you have left it I would let her have one season and do her 3 months later when her hormones will have settled.

Firefly13 likes this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Call direct. It's not a referral process. I used the one in Wigan, nearest to me and as far as I know the only one in Lancashire.

9. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

She has had a season. It was in the initial post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice