Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

space vs location?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lotlot, Oct 17, 2013.

1. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

I am currently house hunting after saving hard for months. But I am torn; what's more important space or location?

I have found a lovely one bed house which is within walking distance of nice walks, very close to family and I should be able to afford it fairly comfortably on my own. It'd be perfect for the dogs as my mum would be able to spend the day with them when I'm working.

But I am also looking at other house which have more than double the space, same price but are situated in town, in not so nice areas. I keep thinking I should go for something bigger that I could stay in for longer but do I want to live in such am area?

What would your priorities be? I am leaning towards the smaller house, but I'm worried I'll regret it in future when I feel closed in by it?!

2. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Both to me, would not want to live in a huge house in a crappy area

3. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I would never live in the town, couldn't cope with all the noise and all the people.

If the 1bed house is big enough, you can afford it and its location is good.what more could you ask for?lol

4. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

I had this choice, a 1 bed cottage in a village surrounded by fields. Or a 3 bed house in a new town. (same price)

I went for the cottage and have no regrets!! So happy to be out of the crappy town :D

#4 grumpy goby, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Really depends on where you see yourself in 10yrs time. If it's with a partner and sprogs, then you are possibly going to have to move in the future. If you see yourself either in your own company or with a partner no sprogs then the one bed will be enough.

Or

Is there room to extend the one bedroom should the need/fancy arise.

If living alone I would much rather have a smaller house in a better area, although that's no guarantee. ;)

6. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

Just think of the programme Location, Location, Location. I would go for the smaller property in a nicer area. As a single person you will feel safer, the bills will be less and when it comes to resell it will sell quicker too!

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You get what you pay for and I doubt you will get a bigger house, with the same location/environment, etc. If it were bigger, it would probably be out of your price range.

Personally, having lived next to nightmare neighbours, I would chose location/environment over space any time.

I did live, for a while, in my ideal property - but it's location proved to be unworkable for all sorts of practical reasons so I eventually sold up and moved to a smaller house in a more practical location.

Provided that you can manage with the smaller property, maybe the other positives outweigh it's limitations on space.

It's no good having a big house but hating everything around it.

8. tinktinktinkerbell

For me

At least 2 bed rooms
    A bungalow
    A big living room
    Close to my doctors, boots (or another chemist) a pet shop and a supermarket

9. witchyone

witchyone PetForums VIP

Location every time for me. I used to live in a city, had a lovely house but the area was dire, and getting worse. I love where I live now and the house is great too, guess I was lucky :D

10. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

There is nearly always something you have to compromise on, mine was a garden :(

We have a yard , it's not that big BUT it has 8ft walls to keep a certain husky contained so that's a plus. I do live on the sea front though so amazing walks right on my doorstep.

I just fell in love with my house, only came to look at it for a nose and instantly fell in love. I just went with my feelings rather than my head, don't regret it yet as all the previous ones we looked at the gardens wouldn't have been able to contain Blade.

If I'm honest with myself this house is far too big for just me and my OH , especially since I don't have kids, we have three bedrooms two living rooms a dining room, it's a victorian period house but been "done up" to a high standard, 11"+ ceilings huge rooms new kitchen all built in bedroom furniture :D

Attached a couple of pics, the living room is before we decorated haven't managed to do one of after.

Attached Files:

11. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

Also think of interest rates that will inevitably be rising as the economy picks up. Also council tax...utilities that have announced huge price increases. Plus house insurance would no doubt be more in a less desirabe area.

12. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

I'm going through the same sort of dilemma at the minute so it'll be good to read everyones posts.

I'd suggest going with your heart...which house can you see yourself in the most,sat on the sofa curled up with a coffee on a evening watching a movie?

13. fire-siamesekitty

fire-siamesekitty PetForums VIP

I would choose the rural area.....having a nice area to live is far better....

14. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

It would be location for me. I have a 3 bed house now which is way more space then I need and its in a crappy urban area.:( i would happily trade it in for a tiny 1 bed place with a decent garden and rural location.

15. spid

spid PetForums VIP

location, location, location - every time.

16. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

I'd definitely prefer the smaller house in a better location!

17. HappyWag

HappyWag PetForums Senior

I think I would go for location :) Sounds lovely, wish we lived in a more rural area.

18. rona

rona Still missing my boys

A house is a house but a home is where you want to be ;)

19. metame

metame PetForums VIP

i'd go for location
    bigger house = more cleaning ;)

20. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Space for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice