Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sour crop in chicken

Discussion in 'Poultry Health and Nutrition' started by Phoenix24, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 PetForums Senior

Visited a friend who keeps chickens yesterday, one of which was looking pretty poorly. The symptoms described sounded possibly like sour crop to me, with the hen regurgitating brown fluid and not eating, and generally looking unwell.

I suggested the owners look for signs of canker, as this can cause a sour crop in pigeons, and i'm fairly sure is transmittable to poultry. Just wondering what the likelihood it is canker, or else what else causes sour crop, and what can be done about it (the hen looks very poorly)? I've read about apple cider vinegar in the water, also bicarb in water. I remember giving apple sauce to a juvenile pigeon whose crop wasn't emptying. Thoughts?

Any info or advice appreciated on this.

2. AnnC

AnnC PetForums Member

3. Prowl

Prowl Guest

provide plenty of grit to help break down the blockage and and massage the crop and then tip the bird upside down which could be a two person job and wear an aprone as it can be messy!!

Be prepaired to despatch the hen if no clearance after a few days its very uncomfortable for the hen as they can't eat in this time and water just refills the blocked crop.

Bread could cause the blockage as it swells when wet.

4. Phoenix24

I'll pass on the info - thanks

5. J1990

J1990 PetForums Junior

I have just paid £120 to have our chickens crop cut open and emptied under anaesthetic. She is making a good recovery!

6. AnnC

AnnC PetForums Member

Expensive chicken.

7. J1990

J1990 PetForums Junior

Very, but unfortunately we have named them all and they have become loved family pets!

8. Phoenix24

Unfortunately my friend's poorly chicken didn't make it despite massaging and flushing the crop out, but hopefully the advice you folks gave will come in useful in prevention, or catching the problem quicker next time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice