Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

SOS Leopard Gecko months of stuck shed

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by clairemchar, Feb 2, 2020.

1. clairemchar

clairemchar PetForums Newbie

Hello there! My name is Claire, I'm 19 years old and approx. 5 months ago I received 2 five-year old male leopard geckos from a friend of a friend who was not caring for them properly. Both geckos were originally sharing the same cage but I separated them when I noticed Theo being aggressive towards the other, Clyde. They both seemed healthy but Clyde was missing all of his front toes/claws and Theo was missing all of them, he just has little nubs.
    Fast forward to now and one of my geckos, Theo, is in really bad shape. Since I got him I have had to help him shed his arms, feet, and entire head each time he shed. His shed would never come off in one piece around his head and he had a lot of built up shed that became hard and scaly and impossible to remove without hurting him.
    Just recently (less than a month) I noticed the shed from under his chin was very, VERY thick and built up around the bottom portion of his mouth. (I must have not removed this shed properly) I believe that the shed has become so tight around the bottom of his mouth/chin area it is causing the skin around the lower portion of his mouth to be pulled down and leaving it raw and exposed.
    Right now it looks like he cannot even close his mouth. From the pictures I took it looks like his tongue hangs out a bit too. His coordination is awful and I have to amputate the legs off all of the crickets I give him so they can't move and he can eat them. He looks terrible and he must be in so much pain.
    For vitamins I dust all of his crickets in calcium and I also leave a small dish of calcium in his tank. I do not use any additional vitamins or supplements.
    Currently he has 2 hides, a warm hide that is under a light and on top of a heating mat, and a hard tree-bark type hide on the other side. His water bowl is very large and rock-like and he will use this to rub his face up against sometimes. Often I see him wiping his face on the glass of the tank (I believe this is how he tried to shed before I had him, when he did not have the proper habitat)
    I keep him in a 10 gallon tank, I use a repti-carpet to line the tank.
    Heat: I use both a heating mat under his warm hide and I keep a heating lamp above it that I keep on approx. 12 hours a day.
    Before his shedding got bad I did not provide a humid hide. For a couple weeks I have been leaving wet paper towels in and around his bark hide.
    I believe the cage is not very humid. His water bowl dries out completely in a few days. The paper towels in his humid hide dry in a few hours.
    I bought shed-aid and a tropical humidity mist to try to help.
    I don't know what to do. This is months of built up shed and trying to remove it seems impossible, it is also so close to an open wound I don't want to hurt him further. I am willing to do anything to help him.
    Thank you! IMG_2796[3099].jpg IMG_2792[3098].jpg

Attached Files:

2. dingal2000

dingal2000 PetForums VIP

Are you using thermostats with the heating? You need to have a heat control otherwise everything will overheat, also give him a humid hide, an enclosed hide with damp sphagnum moss in it. But I would seriously consider taking him to a reptile vet, because his little chin looks infected

mrs phas and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Whiteshadow

Whiteshadow PetForums Senior

Please take him to the vet asap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice