Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sorry might be vague but my new rescue dog has skin problems/itchiness

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lois' owner, May 4, 2011.

1. Lois' owner

Lois' owner PetForums Junior

hi guys I'm looking for some advice

WE GOT OUR bitch 6 month old x breed from Birmingham dogs home about 3 weeks ago

We were told she had a minor skin complaint apparently from a poor diet which she was having a medicated bath for apparently probably from a poor diet.

We found flees on her straight away but as she had a flee treatment (something from the home beginning with A) she couldn't have any more treatment

I took her back and was told to give her anti histamines once a day and then in a week give her another dose of this treat which I gave her but a few days later she is still scratching herself raw..

Can anyone suggest anything to relieve her annoyance. I don't like seeing her in so much discomfort.

2. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

What are you feeding her now? Does she still have fleas?

3. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Hi - to me it sounds as though she has dermatitis of some kind which can be environmental, parasitic, nutritional, infectious or bacterial.

You should really let your vet have a look but in the interim you could try bathing your dog regularly in cool water (warm or hot water will only make the itch worse). Soak for 5 to 10 minutes and add some Epsom salts, baking soda, or colloidal oatmeal (like Aveeno) to the water which will have a soothing effect.

This will provide only a temporary relief lasting from a few hours to a few days. After the bath, pat with a towel - do not rub the skin as this will only increase the itching. If you need to use a hairdryer use only a cool setting as heat and rubbing the dogs skin will increase the itching, making the bath ineffective.

You could also try an evening primrose oil supplement as this contains fatty acids but it will take some time to take effect before you see any benefit and you can find these at your local health food store.

However as I mentioned earlier I would ask the vet to take a scraping and send it off for analysis - he/she will then be able to prescribe the best long term solution.

Hope this helps. :)

4. Lois' owner

Lois' owner PetForums Junior

i changed her diet from chappies (which is what the Dogs home fed her) To Bakers complete

thanks for your advice:001_smile:

5. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

:)If its; diet related then Bakers is deffo a no no, one of the worst foods on the market, full of rubbish and additives, I can't recommend a good complete as I feed raw, but know that bakers would not b recommended for a dog with skin problems, hope u ge ther sorted soon

6. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Yes I agree Bakers is not so good.

Orijen or Fish4Dogs or Arden Grange are good comlete foods. Some of the other members have mentioned others but at this precise point in time for the love of me I can't remember the name. I think someone previously suggested Harringtons.

7. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Yes, defo get her off Bakers. If you bought her home with Fleas, they may be still in the enviroment.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I don't really have any suggestions for the skin problems, but as the others said, please ditch the Bakers, it certainly won't be helping!

9. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Oh dear, Chappie is much better than Bakers. If she was itchy on chappie and you want to eliminate food then I think you need to try something that is cereal free.
    If she is used to wet food why not something like Naturediet, Natures harvest, natures Menu, or Wainwrights. If you can get to a Pets@Home they sell all of these. Forthglade (in the black sleeves) is another tho not from P@H. They all have a small amount of rice but that would be the only cereal.

If you want to stick with dry, then P@H advance sensitive or Fishmongers, Fish4dogs, Vitalin Adult Maintenance is cereal free too. Barking Head Arden Grange, all do cereal free.

Hope you manage to make her feel more comfy - a trip to the vets sounds good. Well done for doing your best to help her:D

10. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

My younger two are forever play fighting, they will tug at each others ears, sometimes pounce on each other from behind the shrubs, now and then they will have a little tumble whilst nibbling. Poor Tipsy has come off worse with a couple of little teeth marks on her back which were nothing worth worrying about until Tux started licking that part (probably kissing it better and saying sorry :eek: ) this left her with a wet patch that made her itch and then she started biting herself in that general area leaving a small patch of short hair and itchy skin.

The first thing I had to do was stop the cause of the problem so now my neighbours probably get sick of me shouting at them out the garden whenever I see them start to playfight.:nono:
    The next step was to address the symptoms (itching) and I found the best thing was Dermacton cream. It's meant for all kinds of itching and skin irritations including eczema and dermatitis etc but has really worked well on Tipsy's little itchy patch, I didn't need to use it as often as the directions either, just once a day for 3 days. The smell was strong enough to stop any of the other dogs getting too close too which is a bonus ;)

Another thing that could cause skin problems is earmites, some dogs can get an allergic reaction and I've found the best way to deal with earmites is Thornit powder, I had mine from ebay. It's around £8-£9 for a small bottle but a little goes a very long way. If you do find mites in the ears, check between the toes too because they can be there from scratching or lying with head between front feet.

It would be best to check her diet too, Bakers is a load of rubbish and food can cause allergies just as much as anything else... I've just gone back to check the first post and am a little confused though. If it's an allergy due to poor diet, why was she having a medicated bath. You've mentioned that she's got fleas so it could be flea allergy or in other words, where the fleas are biting her, it's causing her to itch and then obviously she's been biting and scratching herself :confused: As she's been treated with Advocate ?? and you're not allowed to use anything else, try giving her a bit of human food with garlic in it, a little bit of garlic bread or a spoonful of bolognaise with her food. Garlic is a natural flea repellent. You should also treat your house for fleas, Indorex is good stuff.

11. danceindark49

danceindark49 PetForums Newbie

Our Molly, a 6-year old Staffie girl, developed the itchies at around six months old and it took a long long time and lots of expensive visits to the vet before we found the probably cause and a solution that works most of the time.

We think Molly, who had been the "baby" of the litter, has a weak immune system and suffers from demodectic mange - that's where the dog's immune system can't keep in check little mites that naturally live in the dog's skin so they keep on multiplying which makes the dog itch. The dog scratches and maybe breaks the skin which can then become infected which causes more itching, scratching, itching etc etc. Molly also chews a feet which can be a sign of hayfever.

Our original vet prescribed no end of expensive things including a 12-month course of steroids (absolutely the WRONG and HARMFUL treatment for a dog with a weak immune system) and £300+ worth of allergy testing which showed up NOTHING!

12. danceindark49

danceindark49 PetForums Newbie

Sorry - hit a rogue key and posted my message half-way thru - doh!

We changed vet and the new man diagnosed demodectic mange but said that the steroids would have weakened Molly's immune system so much that he probably couldn't cure her. She had several courses of nasty injections and had to be bathed once a week in even nastier stuff but she still itched and scratched and chewed her feet.

Then we discovered Burns food and EUREKA! On their advice we put Molly on an elimination diet for 12 weeks. We chose duck as Molly's novel protein (Burns Helpline will explain it all if you go down this route and will send you a couple of free samples) so we curbed her natural foraging tendencies and all she had was Burns Duck and Brown Rice. Also we got her some Dermacton Cream, Spray and Soap Bar (a google search will show you where to get it - it's not cheap but it's soooo worth the money). The difference within a few weeks was amazing!

Molly's coat had always been shiny but now it positively glowed with health and when we brushed her there were no more huge flakes of dead skin coming away. She'd had lumps and bumps and sore places that all disappeared and suddenly she was so full of energy she couldn't contain herself and would spend hours and hours running and jumping and generally enjoying herself. Her feet would still get sore when she was out and about and she'd chew them when she got home so we kitted her out with four dog boots (cost a small fortune from a place in Ireland where they'd developed them for working dogs) but they did the trick so were worth every penny.

Over time we've changed Molly to Burns Chicken and Brown Rice with no ill-effects as that's easier to get hold of and she continues to be a relatively itch-free girl for most of the year. We always have a hiccup in the spring when the tree pollen is out and, whatever the £300+ allergy tests results said, we're convinced Molly suffers from hayfever. So we have 6-8 weeks of itching, runny nose, snotty eyes and chewing of feet. Piriton works quite well along with a weekly bath in Dermacton soap and the cream or spray on any very sore places and walks/runs in her doggy boots if her feet are sore. Also if we can get away to the seaside the sea water really helps her.

It's been a long and expensive road with Molly but sooooo worth it. Her immune system may not be up to much and she's showing signs of age rather earlier than we would have hoped so we don't know how long she'll be with us for but her quality of life now is really very good. I think Burns and Dermacton made a huge difference and I'd recommend them to anyone with an itchy dog (and no - I'm not a rep for either company - just a very very satisfied customer!).

Good luck with finding a solution for your dog's itches. I hope your road is not as long and expensive as ours was with our beautiful Molly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice