Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sorry me again, my puppy just threw up and...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucyandsandy, Apr 26, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

There were four stones in it, the rest was bile. What do I do now!? She is quite happy but do I need to phone the vet incase she has eaten more or is there a way of feeling the tummy to see if there are more in there? :eek:

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I'm not sure sorry. I would probably ring the vet and ask their opinion. Sorry she's poorly :(

3. lucyandsandy

That's the thing, she isn't acting poorly and I think she was sick because of the stones she had eaten. I am just hoping that was all of them and there isn't anymore.

My whole garden is covered in large shingle so I will have to make sure I restrict access from now on and have to stay out with her whilst she is out there.

4. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I'd ring the vet for some advice.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes - it shouldn't cost anything to call and ask so I would check with them to be on the safe side.

6. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

Check with the vet, what breed of dog is it,

my pup eats stones all the time, it's a pain but it's also ridiculously hard to stop him otherwise I would be intrusively supervising him!!! But to be honest, he's never thrown up from eating any he always passes them though

7. johnmuldoon

johnmuldoon PetForums Newbie

Mine was exactly the same. Woke me up on night with them rubbing together in his gut :eek: I thought it was mouse in the wall or something first.

Always passed them though.

One night he did bring a snail back up that he ate with bile for added freshness.
    He was fine. I wouldn't worry about her, just try to keep an eye and tell her off next time you see her eating them.

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

While she MAY be fine and a lot of dogs will pass the stones, she MAY also get a gut obstruction. I would certainly be worried if my dog was eating stones. I'd rather make a quick call to the vet than have a dog fighting for it's life...

9. lucyandsandy

I phoned the vet and she said to keep an eye on her and look out for certain symptoms and try to get her to stop eating them as it can be serious. I think I might try a bitter apple spray on the stones whilst it is nice weather and supervise her outside. What else can I do?

10. lucyandsandy

She also said that most pups grow out of it by 18 months. I hope so!

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Teach a reliable 'leave' and 'drop'; I have a stone and general rubbish eater so drop was one of the first things I taught Kilo. Watch your pup like a hawk, every time they get something like a stone that you don't want them to have, offer a treat / toy / whatever will motivate. As the mouth opens to take the treat and the object falls out, use a cue word - 'drop'. If your puppy won't drop the object for a treat in your hand at first, throw it on the floor (that's what I had to do). As they pick it up, take away the stone.

Never make it seem like you really want the object - in my experience the puppy will then just attempt to swallow the prize. For Kilo it has become like a game, he will pick something up and spit it out now for the chance of a treat which he now gets intermittently.

Also, with objects like plastic bottles which are not harmful and cannot be swallowed, I get him to drop then give it back to play with and repeat several times so that he does not think that every fun object he finds is always going to be snatched away.

12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Bitter Apple spray is a good idea. You could start training a really good 'leave'/'drop'/'swap' command so if you see her with something you can stop her from swallowing it.

Kenzie ate anything when she was tiny but she is much better now. Hopefully Sandy grows out of it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice