Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sorry - another flea question

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kdlang, Aug 10, 2009.

1. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

I'm usually over in the dog section but I think it's the cat thats causing the problem.

I found fleas on the animals 2 weeks ago. My cat is frontlined regularly and the dog is given program. I have bathed the dog and put a flea collar on him, combed the dog every day, the cat when i can catch her but I have to pin her down to comb her which I hate doing. I have used flea powder on the carpets and 3 different flea sprays the current one being johnsons with IGR. After reading lots of posts on here I have also bought 4fleas tablets for both of them. I am vacuuming everyday and it is getting exhausting to keep doin all the bedding, furniture, floors etc.

Please can anyone advise me on how long it takes to break the flea life cycle. I don't feel i can do anymore to try to fight them but I have still found 2 or 3 fleas. I thought I had cracked it as i had 1 day with no fleas then 1 on the cat which prompted another 4fleas tablet. 2nite i found 3 on the dog, i didn't comb the cat but gave them both another 4fleas tablet anyway. Should i just give them each a 4fleas tablet everyday until the lifecycle is broken?

Sorry but the fleas are really getting to me now and the situation is getting urgent. the dog is a foster dog for assistance dogs and is due to go in for training at the end of the week which he can't do if he still has fleas. I was also supposed to be having a 10wk old pup to foster this week which I can't have until we are flea clear and I'm worried she is going to get settled in her temporary home then get messed about again when she comes to me.

2. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Heya, I have just posted in the Cat Chat section re fleas.

I am sure others will chime in and give their own methods of control - I'm not sure how to put a link here to another thread but do have a little look on there :)

"Your Mileage May Vary" as they often say so what suits one may not work for another.

3. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Hi there,

I had flea problem over a week ago. I bought a kitten from a pet shop and he was trident with fleas, within 3-4 days I could see the flea larva crawling on my floor panels.
    We went to the Vet on Saturday and he said that over the counter products are not very effective. Heniu my cat was given flea drops called Stronghold. That was Saturday mornign and by Sunday night the fleas were dead. A week befroe the visit to the vet I used Johnsons Herbal Flea drops which is utterly rubbish!!! Dont buy them.

The vet recommended ACCLAIM flea spray and said if the cat was on the bed I should steam clean it as very high temperature kills the eggs. You need to spray everywhere, especially in the cracks, curtains, fost furnishing etc. It will take 2-4 weeks to break the cycle. GOOD LUCK.

I steam cleaned the whole house.

4. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

Hi, I use Frontline as well for my cat and I never have any problems with fleas. I never had any dogs, so can't say much about that...

The life circle of a flea is about a month, so it is possible to come across fleas (when fully grown from nits) within this first month. But when you use the appropriate products on the animals, these fleas won't survive very long.

Then I read you use a flea collar. Allow me to tell you that this isn't very usefull; it only protects the neck, fleas can still jump around at the back of the animal, on the tail etc. They even prefer the belly and the beginning of the tail, because those are the most comfortable and warmest spots on the body of a cat/dog.

Do you only use flea 'dry' powder? It's possible you suck it up with the vacuum cleaner then... I use 'Biokill', which is liquid spray and perfectly safe for cats and dogs.

I hope these filthy parasites disappear very quickly! ;)

5. shortbackandsides

shortbackandsides PetForums VIP

Forget the "for fleas" and use a proper product such as frontline,or similar from vets:)

6. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

I do use frontline on the cat. she is due another dose in a week but think i am going to give it her this week. The dog is one i am fostering and they provided program for him.

Crocky - I didn't expect the flea collar to do much to be honest but I am tryin to exhaust every avenue lol. I put flea powder over the carpets when i first found the fleas as this was something I had in the house and it was as a starting measure until i could get some spray. Then, i admit, i bought some cheap spray and went round the house with that. Then i bought some different spray and went round with that. Since you aren't supposed to use these sprays on human bedding I also bought some Bob Martin All-in-one flea spray that is safe as it doesn't contain pesticides just is supposed to render the little blighters immobile. I got onto this site and read a few threads about fleas and about IGR sprays and realised mine didn't have that in so I bought Johnsons 4fleas spray that has got it and some 4fleas tablets. Yesterday I got my mum to pick me up some Staykill spray so today I am going through room by room and strippin them down to get in every nook n cranny.
    I am hoovering everyday including beds, bedding, upholstery, pets beds. Im changing our bedding every 2-3 days, washing the pets bedding every 1-2 days, i even took all my curtains down yesterday and washed those.
    I got an electronic flea comb yesterday and went over the dog with it last night and got 2 off. I did find it didn't kill the little blighters tho as they started moving again after a couple of minutes so think it only stuns them. I don't mind as long as they don't jump away before i can crush them.
    I am now officially obsessed with fleas and everyone is sick of me talking about them. I have never known them to be so hard to get rid of. The cat has had fleas before and much worse but they have always been easily dealt with using frontline and a household flea spray.

7. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

As you read in my previous post my house was ridden with fleas. it took a day for the fleas to die on Heniu. Also treated the house with Accliam flea spray, steam cleaned everything and as fro today everythign is gone :) I honestly think you'd be better off to buy flea treatment from the vet for ur cat and dog. I just dont trust those over the counter things. U said you sprayed the house. Please chek in the corners if you have any larvas or little droppings. I saw them and as someone suggested run cotton wool over it to check if these were from fleas. If they are it will leave brown reddish streak.

GOOD LUCK

8. LKelly

LKelly PetForums Junior

Hi There,

I had posted this blog on the pet forum a while ago it may help:
    Essential Information For The Flea & Tic Season

This time of year can be a real pain for our pets as it’s the season for fleas and tics. These creatures are more than just an irritation to pets as these parasites can cause skin allergies and other diseases.

Having the knowledge allows us to make informed choices to control the infestation and keep our pets protected.

There are different stages of the flea cycle, listed below:
    1. The adult flea attaches itself to your pet
    2. They will then lay eggs
    3. As your pet moves around the eggs fall off your pets coat whether it be outside or in your home
    4. The eggs hatch within 2-10 days and this is what is called the larval stage, the larvae will grow and moult
    5. The final stage is known as the pupae stage, this is where the flea spends around 8-9 days growing inside their cocoon and will emerge when the time is right. This is also known as the indestructible stage where it is very difficult to get rid of them.

3 Simple Essential Steps To Take:
    1. Protect your pet
    2. Protect Your Home
    3. Ensure clearance of any infestation by washing bedding and vacuuming regularly
    [​IMG]

9. Crocky

Crocky PetForums Junior

I totally understand the obsession and I know you want to try everything to make them disappear, I wouldn't like it either to have fleas in the house.
    I see you already used tons of products, has any of them helped yet?

Maybe Frontline doesn't work hard enough on your cats? I don't know for sure, I'd call the vet and ask for his opinion then.
    Saxa21 might be right: vet's products can work better than the regular ones.

Good luck with it!!!

10. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

I had another idea today of where some of the fleas were coming from. My kids have got a den in the garden with an old cot mattress in it and i found out the cat has been sleeping on it so i went out this morning with my can of staykill and doused it. I'm not sure if any of the products are working as I'm still gettin fleas off the dog althought no flea dirt so they aren't on for long.
    The dogs handler is taking him to the vets tomorrow so will see what she says then. I think he has got ear mites too bless him as when I was going over him with the flea comb yesterday i noticed his ears were mucky. He was supposed to be going in to begin his training tomorrow but that is being put off and we will look at the situation again next week. Guess that means i miss another week of toilet training the new puppy thats waiting to come to me lol.

11. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

Good Luck and let us know how u getting on. My flat is completeley free of fleas now, and it's only after steam cleaning every corner and using Acclaim Flea Spray from the vet (however you can find it cheaper on ebnay or amazon - seen it for £10-£12 and I paid £23!).

12. kdlang

kdlang PetForums Junior

Thanks saxa. Well he has had a fun trip to the vets. His handler sorted out some frontline for him so now hopefully we can really get this problem knocked on the head. They are not sure about him having ear mites but he is prone to allergies so we have got some ear drops anyway in case there is something irritating him.
    I'm going to attempt to comb the cat again this afternoon and see if her dose of frontline yesterday has had any effect.
    Will update in a couple of days in the hope we have got on top of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice