Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sorrel's got a sand-pit

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sorrels Mum, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

Well we knew it wouldn't be long before she found out about digging and she has driven us wild for a few evenings digging in various parts of the garden, though why am I surprised - she is a terrier.

Have tried everything, telling off, distraction, picking up and putting in crate but none of it worked. We even tried pepper in the holes but once she is on a course of action Exocet missiles couldn't stop her.

Have given in and decided if we can't beat her then encourage her. DH spent all afternoon digging out an area of the garden and edging it ready tto fill with sand. She found it after tea and has started her excavations.

The look on her face was quite comical, she was saying "Why aren't they trying to stop me - they usually do?".

'All' we have to do now is direct her to the right place - and get a few bags of sand to top it up. I do hope it works and saves my lovely garden.

2. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

That's a great idea, you can bury toys for her to find. The only downside is if you don't cover the sand pit all the local cats will use it as a toilet :(

My JRT doesn't dig in the garden anymore, she only digs on command now (she's just turned three). Whenever I take her out up the woods I move off the path, scrape my foot on the earth and say 'get it' then let her dig a big hole. seems if she is allowed to dig she will leave the garden alone :D

3. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

Oops! Not thought about the cats :rolleyes: will have to implement Plan B

4. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Plan B????

:)

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Lucky Sorrel hope you've got him a bucket and spade. :D

Keep saying i'm going to get a sand pit for the dogs but it's not happened yet, poor kids.

6. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I think Sorrel is very lucky you've thought of that, not only to save your garden but to give her a special digging area. I imagine it wont take her long to realise that is where she CAN dig.

We've only got a tiny garden, mainly hard landscaped with just small borders, but there is a massive sand pit 2 minutes walk away, one mile long :D, Poppy recently found the joys of digging in it after months of visiting it every day. And when she chases after her ball she slides to a stop. Sometimes I wish I didn't have a white dog :lol: . She's brushed every day so it doesn't get stuck in her coat but she does look rather grubby sometimes!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice