Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sore, red and itchy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by itisgeorgiac, May 17, 2017.

1. itisgeorgiac

itisgeorgiac PetForums Newbie

IMG_0779.JPG IMG_0779.JPG IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0781.JPG Hi, I have a 2.5 year old female shih tzu. For the past few months she has been suffering with really sore 'armpits' on both her front and back legs. She is none stop itching in these places all day and all night to the point where she almost constantly has a cone on. We've been to the vet about it, we're there almost every other week. We've had her on only specials feed for 10 weeks, on antibiotics, tried different pills and creams and shampoos. The latest was steroid tablets which we don't want to try yet, only as a last resort. She also often gets ear infections which I don't think are connected but may be relenvant? We have no idea what is causing the soreness but we really need to stop this as it's horrible seeing her like this any help?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Ear infections can be allergy related.

My dog is intolerant to chicken, unfortunately hes been in the vets for nearly a week and has been fed a lot of chicken based food, as the message about his intolerance didn't get added to his notes.

As soon as he came home, I noticed head shaking and asked the vets to check his ears and sure enough, one had flared up.

You say you are feeding special food, but what type? It may be food related, or it could be environmental allergies. Allergies may not be an was fix.

Do the antihistamines help at all?

Steroids when used sensibly can really help itchy dogs, but there is other treatment out there instead of.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. itisgeorgiac

itisgeorgiac PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your response, she was on a dry food given by the vet but I can't remember it's name, she's now been but on a raw diet. When on the dry food she was not allowed any food like meat or treats.
    Antihistamines seemed to slightly help with the redness however she's still itchy there

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Was the dry food a hydrolysed food do you know and did you feed it for more than 6 weeks?

With feed raw are you using one protein or variety?

5. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Your poor little girl, she looks so sore it must be very uncomfortable!

Unfortunately our vets know very little about our dogs food requirements, they are not nutritionists, they are taught very little about canine digestion in the course of their studies. It appears that hardly a day on the topic is spent and the lecturers are often sponsored by pet food manufacturers too.
    My vet was actually told by the tutor that she would kill her dog if she fed it a raw diet !!

As always this is only "My suggestion" !

Stick with it regards the raw feeding, there are so many people these days who report horrendous allergies and bad itching that have changed their dogs diets to raw. Results are reported very positively and that all itches and allergies have stopped. (some say very quickly).
    Take care with treats, use fresh veg or fruit, but don't get anything "Man made" from over the counter.

If you decide to stay on a raw diet for whatever reason, there are two little books that are easy to read and understand that can help with our understanding of raw feeding.
    "Honeys Natural Handbook for Dogs" by; Jonathan Self, and "Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats" by; Kymythy Schultze.
    Both of these little books can be purchased from Amazon for 1p each.

I hope you find a remedy for her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice