UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Feeling a bit sorry for my boy tonight. I thought yesterday that one side of his nose/snout was a little puffy, and when I was giving him a little rub he pulled away a lot. I then tried to feel what the problem was and look in his mouth etc and he was clearly in pain when you try to pull his jowls up. He kind of snaps, but not with any intent but usually you can do whatever, he is the most tolerant dog I know so must be in pain for this to happen.

He is not off his food at all so that's good.

We took him along to the vets earlier and the vet was trying to see what was what with the aid of treats and he agreed dodge was in pain and without being able to see properly it could be a tooth infection, or he has bashed his face.

We have antibiotics to see if it clears up, if not they may knock him out to have a look. we also have metacam for the pain and the vet said a double dose for the first dose, is that correct? I'm not sure I want him too dosed up as I'm not a fan of metacam from what I've been reading, but don't want him in pain, and if it helps him let me have a look then that's good.

He is 8 ish with a heart murmur so I'm worried about aesthetic if it doesn't clear up. I feel so sorry for him at the mo!

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
I have been told to use a double initial dose with Metacam, even antibiotics too - in hospital they call this a 'loading dose' and it's perfectly safe, sort of a kick start. Poor boy if it's a bad tooth, must be really sore.

Try not to worry about anaesthetics and your older dog, many many dog with tooth problems are elderly and they're not out for long. He'll be home and pain free before you know it but just as in humans a tooth cannot be extracted while it has infection present, so once the AB's have done their job I expect your vet will whip that tooth out quite quickly.

Hugs to him from here. xx

ETA - My Mal Kali has just had her second set of x rays in 3 months under a GA, she's seven and been fine. Eight is not so old you know, lol!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been told to use a double initial dose with Metacam, even antibiotics too - in hospital they call this a 'loading dose' and it's perfectly safe, sort of a kick start. Poor boy if it's a bad tooth, must be really sore.

Try not to worry about anaesthetics and your older dog, many many dog with tooth problems are elderly and they're not out for long. He'll be home and pain free before you know it but just as in humans a tooth cannot be extracted while it has infection present, so once the AB's have done their job I expect your vet will whip that tooth out quite quickly.

Hugs to him from here. xx

ETA - My Mal Kali has just had her second set of x rays in 3 months under a GA, she's seven and been fine. Eight is not so old you know, lol!
Thank you for responding Malmum. I've had wisdom tooth probs before so if it's a tooth issue I know he must be in slouch pain.he must be anyway, as like i say he's so mild mannered that to be grumpy like he is it must be horrid.

Thank you for saying he's not that old, I'm glad. Whenever I tell people how old he is they act like he's on host last legs but before you tell them everyone thinks he's much younger. It's just his heart murmur with the surgery that worries me, although it doesn't bother him yet and isn't on medication or anything.

Hugs to Kali, x

X

·
Still missing my boys
42,307 Posts
It's usual to give double dose to start with. I don't think Metacam is too much of a worry in short term use unless your dog already has kidney or liver issues

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's usual to give double dose to start with. I don't think Metacam is too much of a worry in short term use unless your dog already has kidney or liver issues
Thanks Rona, He doesn't have any liver or kidney issues that I'm aware of, just the heart murmur.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.