Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sophies outdoor play!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

So I guess my wish came and warm weather came so much that Sophie was able to go outside with shivering.

She loves to run circles around then take off down the garden, play with her ball throwing it for herself likes getting a hold of dead plants and running away when you try and get it off her.

But what Ive noticed is she seems to get hiccups after playing, normal?

Also her nipping isnt to bad until she gets excited Ive tried the yelp thing and it just winds her up.

Ive tried diverting her attention to a toy but her nipping involves your feet, defiant foot fetish here.

Any ideas on how to divert her from nipping to something else, I think its also teething to.

2. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

bump...............................................................

3. ridgeback05

ridgeback05 PetForums Senior

dont know if it will work for you...when my dogs are pups and they nip i just ignore them...dont even pull my hand away...they seem to learn that nothing happens when they nip...so just leave alone...like i say thats what i have done and it may not work for you.

4. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

i tried the yelping thing with radley when he was at that stage and it didnt work, it made him more excited.

what worked for me was completely ignoring him... if i was playing with him id stop and turn my back on him.... if he carried on once play had resumed then he got 2 mins cool out time in the kitchen. hope you find something that works for you x

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

It's pretty common for puppies to get hiccups - Kenzie used to get them straight after waking up. Unless they're really frequent or don't stop, I wouldn't be worried.

Like others said I would ignore her so she learns that nipping means the end of playing and gets her no attention. You need to be consistent, and it may take a while until she stops nipping altogether as it's a normal puppy behaviour :)

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

If yelping didnt work I sometimes used to push my hand or foot forward slowly. Turns out it isnt so much fun when the hand you were nipping is heading down your throat!!:rolleyes: I just made sure that when they turned their head away I had a chew that I could give them with a bit of a game, then its obvious what is the more fun thing to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice