Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sophia Yin on the Dominance Controversy...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by fun4fido, Jul 19, 2009.

1. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Each to their own but I need to use harnesses with my dogs as they have floppy palates. A pug breeder told me she only uses harnesses to because they do cough and choke and get problems very easily with collars. I agree with the comment you made of the choker chain though as when my mum and dad first got them for a cross springer pointer we always had to release it by hand as it would stick on choke!!! Thanks and have a nice week.

2. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

hi all, if you are interested in this topic and would like to understand the science behind behaviours, i suggest you have a look at the following book and the life time work of this great professor of ethology, who has studied, researched, published and thought, together with his brilliant team of researchers since the 50s on the behaviour and communication between humans and dogs. the book is called "if dogs could talk" edited by north point press (translated into English in 2005). he is the author of over 300 scientific publications that have been published in veterinary, zoology and behaviour journal (peer reviewed by other scientists)...with a pedigree like that, i suppose his work is worth knowing!!!

i know i'm a bit old fashion with all the internet, streaming videos, tv programmes and dvds that are now available i still prefer books and hard researched science...but as a scientist myself, i really cannot trust what's out there published by (at best) well meaning people without the rigour of proper, structured studies in publicly sponsored research facilities and checked for consistency of methods, analysis and results obtained by other scientists prior to be released to the community...
    well, it's boring, i know, i have also been told that i should "get a life"...but some of you might have a particular interest, tons of patience and greed for knowledge...if so, please have a look!

cheers

3. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Ah, i remember that one. I believe that the Cocker Spaniel mauled the toddler in the family and had bitten previously.
    Under the circumstances i think it was probably for the best - you can't risk that happening again with such a young child about.

I really didn't like how they felt they had to show the family afterwards though. That wasn't necessary and must have been agonising for them :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice